Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squad Assignments  (Read 579 times)

FelixLegions

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Squad Assignments
« on: November 29, 2013, 01:46:09 am »

I have just created a new squad to cover my fortress's main entrance. However, one of the 5 dwarfs drafted into this squad has decided to become a crossbowmen, when I only want close combat units. How do I change him into a swordsman?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: Squad Assignments
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 02:48:36 am »

Did you set the squad's uniform up, to allow only melee/swords for weapons?
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 03:55:50 am »

As Woobmonkey suggests, it sounds like the uniform that is assigned to that military unit has any weapon specified.  Change that to the weapon you want them to carry.  After you change the uniform you will have to make them get dressed again, so either make the squad inactive then active again, or assign no uniform then reassign the uniform.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 04:08:44 am »

I forgot to mention the alternate method:

1. Go into your <m>ilitary screen;
2. Enter the <e>quipment submenu;
3. Look at the <P>rivate/assigned equipment sub-submenu;
4. On each individual dwarf, look at the far right of the screen, scroll to the weapon chosen, and hit <enter> to remove it;
5. Go back to <V>iew/customize, and scroll back to the far right;
6. While the dwarf you want changed is highlighted, hit <W>eapon assignment, and highlight 'Specific Weapon'; press <enter>;
7. Choose the desired weapon from the list that comes up.
8. Repeat for each dwarf in the squad.

A bit clunky, but the best way to make sure each dwarf in the squad is using exactly what you want hir to use.  This method is best if you have a variety of the same weapon type available, and want to equip only the best (artifact, masterwork steel, what have you) to your soldiers.

In the same screen, you can also specify armour, shields, and clothing, to whatever level of micro you'd like.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 08:14:29 am »

Simplistic sanity check:
Does your dwarf just say "Urist McRookie has become a Marksdwarf" when activated for the military? This only means the dwarf's highest military skill is crossbow (they might have immigrated with some points of crossbow use) and doesn't indicate what they're actually going to do in battle.

If given the choice to use "any" or "any ranged" weapon, they'll pick up a crossbow and use that, but if your uniform specifies "any melee" or "short sword" they'll pick up a melee weapon or sword. Once they get enough experience in other attack skills, their military profession will automatically change to swordsdwarf (or wrestler, if they get tons of striking demonstrations instead of sparring).

As others said, check uniform settings and the dwarf's inventory.

FelixLegions

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 03:41:04 am »

Thank you for your replies, I have managed to solve this problem. On another note, my militia captain just gave birth to a boy after being badly injured by a snatcher.

FelixLegions

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 03:56:03 am »

Nevermind, a kidnapper has made of with little Zon! (Militia captains baby.).