Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Effective Beginner Military Strategies?  (Read 4631 times)

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Effective Beginner Military Strategies?
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2013, 09:11:06 pm »

Thanks Verdant, my builds usually have mass melee conscription of all males and most females with crossbows until all military threats, i.e. HFS, are dealt with.
The strategy, however, creates lots of orphans. I mean LOTS.

I just lost like 50 dorfs due to Webbing and Flamethrowing clowns this morning, good soldiers. Now I am down to my reserve force of 30. Got 5 or 6 of the creatures trapped, gonna put an artifact adamantine statue in hell along with all their corpses after this crises is sorted out.

But to answer your question on clothing and restricting civilians to burrows. Well you can always set up an alert wherein it orders the entire squad of dorfs to station in a burrow (like a food and drink vault.) You can then give the order when fun arrives

Or you can do what I do which is create a burrow order in the schedule menu, edit it and copy and paste it when needed. This works great when you need to station marksdorfs.

e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

evilman222

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Effective Beginner Military Strategies?
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 09:18:09 am »

I usually make a 5 man squad by the third immigrant wave. Have them train constantly in a danger room. The embark point I'm using now had a ton of iron and gold, so they were all equipped with steel armor and weapons, which definitely helped. As of right now, three years in, all of my soldiers are legendary in their weapon and shield skills, with many of them legendary in dodging and armor use as well. No casualties from them, and my dual-wielding axedwarf has nearly 50 kills. Not sure if the LFR mod does anything to effect training though. It does make sieges a bigger pain. I also have a minefield made up of cage traps on the border where most of the goblin attacks come from, and a bottleneck in my entrance with cage traps to keep out thieves.

For alerts, I made two aditional alerts for civilians. One just makes sure they stay in the fort, and one is an emergency alert that gets them into a vault of sorts. Long corridor with a few hunters hidden in rooms on the side and shooting through fortifications make short work of most attacks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]