Fight the power!

Row!
- 0 (0%)
Row!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 16, 2013, 01:03:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: ☼SILVERGOOSE☼ Of Masterworks, Mephs and Magma.  (Read 23972 times)

TehLandWalrus

• Bay Watcher
  • In the Game of !!SOCKS!!, you ALWAYS have !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
Re: ☼SILVERGOOSE☼ Of Masterworks, Mephs and Magma.
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2014, 12:55:25 am »

I'm considering joining in on the game, even though I've never played a succession game and, even though I know all the hotkeys and basic concepts, has no earthly idea as to how to QSP or how to make piping systems for magma or water.

Either way, I request dorfing. Name: Bengal Hairy basement. Proffesion: Pick a very skilled metal worker, and custom title: Smith master. Thanks!

It's been very interesting to follow, with my first fort winding up in the same situation when I just started

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2014, 08:48:31 am »

Though I usually take screenshots as I go, this time I did not, but I did get a few at the end. I had a couple ways to go with this. I could try to organize what I could in a year...or I could embrace the chaos and leave the fort in just as much a crazy mess. I chose chaos, although I did what organizing, especially of the labors, I had to do for my own peace of mind.

Off to a 'Good' Start
So, first things first, I begin my time as overseer with a siege of Jotuns at the gate. And by gate I mean elaborate entrance way. Following Gimmash's very nice instructions (thank you sir) I wait until they are gathered by the artifact door and catch them in the cave in trap. It works great, although a handful are either knocked away by dust or not caught in the trap. They are stunned, and none of them are fireball throwers, so I send my newly filled melee squad to see what they could do. That was the beginning of my experience with the Hero of Silvergoose.

A few notes: up/down stairs open up a passageway through the floor, whether or not there are stairs below to meet them. So the save started out with a jotun hurling fireballs up through the up/down stairs and starting fires/killing dwarves in the main compound. A handful of dwaves died, including your miner Smurfington, before I could get them deconstructed and replaced with up stairs. We were set for food and drink for the most part, and everyone was pretty happy, so I just used the stability of the fort for my own purposes and to get a military set up and arms and armor started. Also, I will get to the full story of the Hero further down.

An Historical Overview
So to summarize events for the rest of the turn, I got a few migrant waves which were really helpful, and both got in completely safely. I also got an elf and a human caravan in safely and spent some of our mugs to buy everything we could possibly use from them. We missed the dwarven caravan due to a siege I couldn't break in time, which sucks cause they had what we really could have used. We had 3 moods, one failed (I have no idea what he was missing...showmood on dfhack said he had everything he needed and I couldn't figure out what he was missing. The list had like 15 ingredients) plus a bucket named The Absolute Love and this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We had a lot of sieges, but I broke all but the last one, which has one squad left hanging out on the far side of the map which would be a pain to get. Other than that, the only other thing that typified the year was constant (as in, I considered magma accidents more than once) spamming of named dwarf Waaghina over being too injured to store owned item (STOP WHINING!!!!), and spamming of 'Daral created a masterpiece'.

...more to come.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:56:32 am by Jerbot »

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2014, 09:20:32 am »

Fool Me Once...
Other than Whiny McComplainpants the only other named dwarf who survived when I started wasnt exactly named, but had a custom profession 'The Hero of Silvergoose'. Pretentious, but he was the militia commander, so he must have done something cool to earn the title. When I sent the largely untrained militia to finish off the Jotuns, the Hero was a maniac, finishing them all off himself. 'Kudos' I thought, then busied myself starting my magma-based defense which I knew would barely be finished in a year. I had set up a full squad of melee and a half squad of marksdwarfs before unpausing, and got them training in a new barracks I set up topside. The melee I setup to be axedwarfs, since they were untrained in everything and axes are the most effective (I find) if you get them good weapons (we already had 3 bloody axes of armok to start with).

So with them training, the months flew by with my project progressing and was only broken up by a griffon named 'Tick' (Spoooooon!) who was taken down by a marksdwarf. Then, I got a siege of Dark Stranglers(4 or 5 squads). 'Perfect' I thought because they were unarmored and un-weaponed and the axe squad should tear through them. So I waited in our entrance and sure enough, the squad ripped them apart, with no casualties. But the Stranglers were just a decoy, because they fled with my dwarves in fast pursuit just in time to lead them right into another siege...warlocks.

This was actually my first ever experience with warlocks, and boy were those suckers fast. They ran straight for my entrance before I could turtle up, so I sent the marksdwarves for support and hoped for the best. One giant cloud of smoke and miasma later, they were running and purple blood was everywhere. The cost, after the rotting spell was all said and done, was 3 axedwarves and 2 marksdwarves. But the Hero was unscathed, and was absolutely brutal in the two battles, even though his skill with an axe was...2.

More to come...

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2014, 09:45:35 am »

Fool Me Twice...
Time passed on by until Fall (there were a few automaton ambushes which were easily crushed) when another siege of Dark Stranglers came. Had I learned my lesson? Nope. So, after my Axes demolished the siege and were chasing them down, what happened but another siege, this time very serious. The warlocks were bad, but only one squad. This was 6 squads of orcs, two riding blight bats, and 4 riding...GIANT DROWSPIDERS!!!! If that wasn't bad enough, they brought their deity Slod with them for kicks and giggles. Turns out Dark Stranglers are just the decoys for the real sieges who show up once you are out of position. Elaborate defenses only work when your most important dwarves aren't running amok over the whole map. I should have known better.

Anyway, I had a choice, either write off the 3 axedwarves who were already charging the 4 squads in the southeast, or send in reinforcements. Even though they were riding web-spammers, I hated the idea of running from orcs, so I made the foolish choice and sent all of the militia to go help. The Hero was...spectacular.

Here is the aftermath of the battle with the deity's corpse (apparently the deity was a vampire lord masquerading as a deity and riding a giant drowspider)

Here is the Hero's kill list at the end of my year...note the 25 giant drowspiders (is he immune to webs?) in the other list and the vamp.

After all of that fighting...here is the Hero's skill levels...he drastically outperformed his abilities.

Conclusions to come...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:58:30 am by Jerbot »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2014, 09:55:53 am »

The spoilers are empty, and I would really like to know the description of the hero. what caste is he?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2014, 09:59:51 am »

Sorry, check them now...i usually post without the image links so the text will be saved and then edit the links back in...you are just too fast!

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2014, 10:22:16 am »

Is the Hero by any chance the golem?  I tried to train him up a bit but failed.  But, the golem would explain the amazing combat prowess.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2014, 10:29:09 am »

The Hero is not the golem...I couldn't get the golem to do anything. I'll post the dwarf description shortly. The crazy part is during the battles, other dwarves got a few kills, its not like they didnt do things and we have a few other dwarfs get extra names, but the Hero just got sooo many it was crazy.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2014, 10:56:35 am »

Ok, the Hero is a girl turns out... and here is her description. No caste!!

Heres the vamp through legends

I made a way to flood the entrance with magma, I had magma tankers filling up top and filling it as they go, but I was in the middle of tweaking it when the year ended, so if you want to refill it, you'll have to set something back up...magma tankers or magmalings or whatever. To use it, make sure the bridge up top is closed, using the lever to the right of the depot, then have a dwarf use the pump at the bottom of the reservoir. The lever to the left of the depot is the bridge underneath, which closes the entrance except for the windy hallway which ends in an artifact door. Great for jotun seiges...the fireballs they throw are brutal...or any building destroyers really.

Regarding the military, if you just turtle and let them train for the next year or so, they will be of decent axe skill. Getting them full suits of armor, good shields, and better quality weapons should be a priority, as well as setting up the marksdwarves with an archery range and uniform weapons and ammo. Oh, and I nicknamed all of the dwarfs in the squads because doing that raises morale.

Fun year, fun fortress if you embrace the chaos!

Heres the save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8330

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:59:17 am by Jerbot »

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2014, 03:25:53 pm »

Landwalrus, I would be glad to add you to the overseer list, just let me know if your sure either on here or by PM. I would take the next turn but I will be quite busy working on a project for the forseeable future. Of course, further overseer applications are welcome as always.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2014, 04:07:14 pm »

There is an archery range in the top left of the courtyard.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2014, 05:20:10 pm »

Is the Hero still using a pick or did you rearm him?
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]