Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Translated names in-game?  (Read 528 times)

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Translated names in-game?
« on: November 19, 2013, 09:10:33 am »

Hi all, I was just wondering if it's possible to always show the 'english' names for my dwarves ingame, rather than their dwarven names? For example, I'd rather have my huntsman show up as Onól Diamondrock than Onól Sirabkol, since it's easier to remember and I think the translated names give them more character. I googled it but didn't come up with anything.

Cheers,
Panzerbeard.
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Translated names in-game?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:47:34 pm »

I don't know about that, but you can replace the language files with English versions. The downside to this is that you'll never see the Dwarven translation, so it's a straight choice: Dwarven or English, no in-between.

Personally, I prefer English. Most Dwarven surnames are utterly unreadable anyway. I become more attached to my dwarves knowing what their names mean at a glance.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

TigerHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 09:11:57 pm »

Open DF/raw/objects/entity_default.txt and replace [TRANSLATION:DWARF] with [TRANSLATION:ENGLISH]. Will only affect newborns and procedurally-generated migrants until you gen a new world.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 09:38:31 pm »

DwarfTherapist will show the translated names if you don't want to mod the language files.

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 07:58:28 am »

Thanks very much all; I had a feeling it was in the raws somewhere but I was looking in the wrong place.

Sorry for the late reply, my internet's been down for a while.
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.