Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population Cap and Seiges  (Read 417 times)

Brunste

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population Cap and Seiges
« on: November 26, 2013, 08:04:45 am »

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'll ask it here anyway.

I've been wanting to play a fort with only around 30-50 dwarves, but I don't want to give up the opprotunity of Goblin seiges or forgotten beasts attacking. So is there anyway to change the minimum population required for Gobos to start attacking a fort or for forgotten beasts appearing?
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:12:12 am by Brunste »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Population cap and Seiges.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 08:15:52 am »

for FB and such I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. Those attacks can be triggered by a couple of things, only one being population, the others being fortress value and exported wealth iirc. Maybe something similar can be done for the goblins. I think the pop requirement for them can be changed in any case, but I can't recall how
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Brunste

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 09:31:49 am »

for FB and such I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. Those attacks can be triggered by a couple of things, only one being population, the others being fortress value and exported wealth iirc. Maybe something similar can be done for the goblins. I think the pop requirement for them can be changed in any case, but I can't recall how
For the first two years of my fort I had my population capped at 50. Only in spring of the third year did I set it to 80, and within the same season I had the fort's first FB. In the summer of that year I also had the fort's first gobo seige. It could have been a coincidence, but I think the pop cap was the only thing restricting them from coming.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 09:37:57 am »

I think forgotten beasts can arrive with just about any population or wealth.  If you dig deep enough, you're telling the game you're ready for them.  Above ground megabeasts and attacks from other civilizations are different and actually do have the population requirement.

Civilization attacks are controlled by a few things in the *_entity.txt files in your raws folder, but off the top of my head I can't remember exactly what.  There is a tag that should be something about siege triggers and is just a number.  Lowering that number should make them attack earlier, but I don't know what the specific values are.  I'm pretty sure you can even change this in an existing save, which is usually not the case for entity file modifications.  Producing huge amounts of wealth might work, but I've never triggered sieges this way alone.

Megabeasts are different, and I think you can configure their minimum population attack threshold through advanced worldgen options.  Once the world is generated it's too late to change, unless there's a way to do it with DFHack that I'm not familiar with.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Population Cap and Seiges
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:09:06 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Entity_token

I think the one you need to change for sieges is PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE
Default is 3, which means a population of 80, I think, and setting it to 2 should lower it to 50 (explanation is in the description for PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION).