Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals Attacking Each Other  (Read 478 times)

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
Animals Attacking Each Other
« on: November 29, 2013, 07:01:11 pm »

It's not really a problem, so I never actually looked into it, but it kind of annoys me and can cause an issue every now and then. Some pastured animals just love to attack and beat the shit out of each other if they are in the same pasture. I always wondered, why do they do this?
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

dleave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animals Attacking Each Other
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 07:56:53 pm »

I think they do this when you put too many in the same pasture.  Spreading your animals out over numerous pastures seems to help.

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 09:59:55 pm »

Aye that's what I thought. Surprisingly enough if you put 2 1-square pastures next to each other and assign an animal to each one, they don't fight. Gotta love good ole' fashion dwarf logic!
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 10:19:37 pm »

They don't fight because you have put them in different pastures.  They also won't cross over into the other pasture.  Imagine there are fences around the pastures, they just don't show in the interface.

You will have trouble keeping animals alive in a 1-square pasture, only rabbits, hairs, groundhogs and cavys can survive in a pasture that small.  See this wiki page for more info: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Pasture
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.