Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Aurora: Crusade -- On Standby  (Read 2157 times)

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora: Crusade -- Open for Signups!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 12:44:29 pm »

Definitely interested.  Preferably as an Admiral (not the top one though), or a Colonial Governer if earlier people get all of them.

I see what you're getting at (and Sheb's comment below yours) but I'm having a hard time visualizing how that would work in-game. I'm very open to the suggestion (especially because it allows for things like "radio boats" that are purpose-built for fleet communications) but I need someone to give me a detailed explanation.
I think what he is saying is, you pick an arbitrary EM strength for transmissions to be treated as an emission of.  Then, you go to the tab on the system map which lets you check sensor ranges, and use it to see at what range sensors of that strength can detect the signals.  Since, without a EM sensor, most ships and PDCs will have a base EM detection value of 1,  you will need dedicated ships with strong EM passives to pick up transmissions at long range.  Planets with DSTs could potentially pick up signals at very long ranges, but buoys would have short detection ranges, and so would need to be close to the target.

For example, suppose you have a destroyer on patrol in a system, and transmissions have the arbitrary EM signature of X.  If it spots something and wants to alert a planetary colony, it will have to close to at least the range where the DSTs on the planet could detect an EM emission of X strength.  However, if the planet wants to contact the destroyer and have it come dock, the destroyer will have to be close enough that its passives could detect an emission of strength X at the planet's location.  Meaning, unless the destroyer has some massive sensors, a courier would need to be sent out with the recall orders, or the message would need to wait until the destroyer came close to the planet or any relay that has been set up.

One problem with this is it would make transponders into either a huge pain or a huge handwave; I would say just make the handwave.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:57:37 pm by Draxis »

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 12:53:29 pm »

I see what you're getting at (and Sheb's comment below yours) but I'm having a hard time visualizing how that would work in-game. I'm very open to the suggestion (especially because it allows for things like "radio boats" that are purpose-built for fleet communications) but I need someone to give me a detailed explanation.
Assign a certain strength to a communications attempt, for example 10,000 EM Signature. Then, set the passive sensor view to show EM detection range for 10,000 signature, and voilá, instant communications range display. I think.

For example, a size 1 EM sensor with the starting tech would have EM Sensitivity of 5, meaning a range of 5*1,000*ComStrength km range.
Choosing ComStrength as 1000 means a range of 5mkm for communication and so forth.
A tracking station would - again, beginning tech - have a com range of nearly 900mkm.

[Edit: Advantage of 1000 would be that we can see the com range in the design and ship windows directly.]

Additionally, that means we could implement two-way communications: If both vessels are within their respective range, it's two-way, if not, only the one for which it is can receive com messages. That might mean, for example, that a hunted fleet may jump into a system, com the planet for reinforcements but cannot receive the reply that they have none available.

Fake-Edit: TL;DR: What Draxis said.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:00:03 pm by 3_14159 »

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 01:21:00 pm »

I'f like to be Naval Designer

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 01:24:08 pm »

PTW so I can maybe figure out how the hell to play Aurora.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 02:06:45 pm »

Yup, what they say, although now that I'm thinking of it, I'd favor a system where two-way communication is possible as long as the EM sensor range overlap: this way a comm ship would serve to get info from afar and to communicate with them. SOP could inform a comm ship to only broadcast at half-power or so to avoid detection.

Just imagine the fun in taking down their comm ship first so they can transmit information about ship class back before dying. :)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 01:35:02 am »

Okay, I get it now. I'll have to play around with that over the holidays, fiddle around with different com strengths and see what I like. Might have one strength for unencrypted/intercept-able and another for encrypted/tightbeam communications. Another possibility would be to use maximum laser range (or some multiple of maximum laser range--after all you just need it to be coherent, not enough to do damage) for encrypted communications.

That would make it relatively easy for a fleet to maintain secure communications while in formation but a scout or spy ship would need to close to a few hundred thousand km.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 09:16:41 am »

Okay, I get it now. I'll have to play around with that over the holidays, fiddle around with different com strengths and see what I like.
Have fun!

Might have one strength for unencrypted/intercept-able and another for encrypted/tightbeam communications. Another possibility would be to use maximum laser range (or some multiple of maximum laser range--after all you just need it to be coherent, not enough to do damage) for encrypted communications.
That might be a bit more work for you, but sounds great!

Gidoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 11:49:36 pm »

I'll throw my hat in as an Admiral for this, although this is probably a little belated now. Was away from my computer for a week. Is this going to use 6.3?

Edit: Just realized this was answered far earlier. Reading comprehension, ho!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:54:11 pm by Gidoran »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora: Crusade -- On Standby
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 10:36:13 pm »

Haven't forgotten about this, but just don't have time to invest in it right now. Maybe in a couple of months.
Also, I'm thinking about holding off for 6.40, because Steve's addition to allow asteroid habitats could have a major strategic impact.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 [2]