Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode and Fortress Mode Issue/question  (Read 659 times)

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode and Fortress Mode Issue/question
« on: August 19, 2006, 06:58:00 pm »

First, in Adventure Mode, there doesn't seem to be a way to give new gear to your companions, or get them to pick up stuff they dropped. With  weapons like pikes, this means sooner or later they're going to lose it and then die horribly.

Second, how much booze will fit in one barrel, and is there a way to get dwarves to move it around to consume fewer barrels? I've got three barrels of beer with 3 or less units in it, a couple with only one, and as I'm tryign to brew up as much beer as possible to get the seeds back to plant them again before it's too late, it'd be nice.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Adventure Mode and Fortress Mode Issue/question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 08:00:00 pm »

Adventure buddy AI is horrible right now.  They don't think about anything but fighting directly with whatever they see, unless they get a couple severs and run away.

Consolidation jobs aren't in, and it's a hard problem to optimize.  Some of the nobles might handle some of them.  Once the economy starts the coin stacks get particularly bad, and I was going to have the treasurer handle that.  Somebody else (not nec. a noble) could dedicate themselves to handling food stores as a [vpl] maybe.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 08:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Adventure buddy AI is horrible right now.  They don't think about anything but fighting directly with whatever they see, unless they get a couple severs and run away.

Consolidation jobs aren't in, and it's a hard problem to optimize.  Some of the nobles might handle some of them.  Once the economy starts the coin stacks get particularly bad, and I was going to have the treasurer handle that.  Somebody else (not nec. a noble) could dedicate themselves to handling food stores as a [vpl] maybe.</STRONG>

If it's EDIT: COMPUTATIONALLY difficult, then maybe make it its own job you can activate, so not all the dwarves are bogging down the CPU. "Packer", maybe, or "Consolidate (food/bolts/etc)".

And I don't really care if they're smart enough to do it on their own, just being able to trade them better weapons and armor, or even back their dropped wpaon, would be nice.

[ August 19, 2006: Message edited by: Zereth ]

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 10:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zereth:
<STRONG>... and then die horribly.
</STRONG>

Isn't that pretty much their job?   :D

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 11:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ricree:
<STRONG>

Isn't that pretty much their job?    :D</STRONG>

Since they can't equip the better armor or weapons or re-arm themselves if they lose their weapon, yep. I had my pikeman peirce the hell out of and stun a Titan once, though, which let me gouge out its eyes, break its hips and shoulders, and choke it to death, but he lost the pike somewhere in that battle and didn't make it when he tried wrestling an ant-man.