Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Q] Dorfs wont move rotten baby  (Read 1984 times)

paxy97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Q] Dorfs wont move rotten baby
« on: November 20, 2013, 12:19:34 pm »

After a dwarf went berserk he killed a dwarven baby in my mason workshop. I've defeated him and made coffins for the two dead. The berserk dwarf got disposed of normally, but the dwarfs didn't move the baby and it started rotting and dispensing miasma all over the place. I have a burial receptacle and have set it to use for burial, but the baby is still there. How do I get the dwarfs to move it?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I'm new and this looked like the best one for posting this Q.
Don't Panic!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Q] Dorfs wont move rotten baby
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:25:46 pm »

Check and see if the corpse is forbidden and maybe you have the Orders > Forbid set to forbid own dead.

The DF questions section would be a bit better fit for the thread, but it's okay.

paxy97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 12:43:25 pm »

Check and see if the corpse is forbidden and maybe you have the Orders > Forbid set to forbid own dead.

The DF questions section would be a bit better fit for the thread, but it's okay.

Yeah forgot to mention that, it's not forbidden I checked it three times.

Oh, don't know how I missed that forum... :/
Don't Panic!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 12:50:50 pm »

In any case, having a rotting baby in your caves is not good, you should place a garbage dump outside and place a dump order on the corpse, that'll at least stop the miasma

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 12:53:57 pm »

Check and see if that coffin really is available and not claimed by someone else? Not sure what else would be the problem. I did have a ghost claim a coffin as a tomb (somehow) or claimed as a burial receptacle, but then again it was a glitched ghost that I had no remains for and couldn't engrave a slab for. I think that ghost was a caravan guard, but there wasn't a legends entry for it.

See if you can engrave a slab instead, which should be an available option.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:58:01 pm by smjjames »

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 01:15:47 pm »

I too had an issue where a baby died and no one would move the corpse.  Said baby had died in a one square channel I'd dug out or a well.  It started spewing miasma, so I ended up flooring over it and building a slab.  Maybe it's a weird glitch where no one but the mother will touch it, or related to how injured babies with no parent aren't tended to.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

paxy97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 01:20:34 pm »

Thank you for the replies. I've made a dump area as suggested, but no luck. Then I tired making a tomb for the baby, but still nothing... meanwhile its just a partial skeleton lol. Now I'm engraving a slab and hope I wont get haunted :p
Don't Panic!

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 03:17:09 pm »

You say the baby was killed in the mason's workshop. Is it possible that the baby's corpse ended up on one of the unwalkable workshop tiles? That happens a lot when tantrumming dwarves start throwing things about, and I suppose it can happen because of fighting, too. If not, maybe you can just channel underneath the body a few times to stop it from stinking up the place. Dead babies are always bad feng shui.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

paxy97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 05:34:38 pm »

You say the baby was killed in the mason's workshop. Is it possible that the baby's corpse ended up on one of the unwalkable workshop tiles? That happens a lot when tantrumming dwarves start throwing things about, and I suppose it can happen because of fighting, too. If not, maybe you can just channel underneath the body a few times to stop it from stinking up the place. Dead babies are always bad feng shui.

Lol I was actually thinking about this, but stupid me didn't do anything. I removed the workshop and they remove the corpse :D. Everything is fine now, thank you very much!
Don't Panic!

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 01:04:25 pm »

You're quite welcome. I'm glad it has worked out for you.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 12:45:08 pm »

Lol I was actually thinking about this, but stupid me didn't do anything. I removed the workshop and they remove the corpse :D. Everything is fine now, thank you very much!

Ooh I should have thought of this!  Happened to me recently, had a moody dwarf fail his mood from lack of shells and went berserk.  His body wasn't retrieved until I dismantled the workshop.  Glad you got it sorted.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.