Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven humor  (Read 1614 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven humor
« on: November 25, 2014, 08:38:57 am »

No, I didn't. Please tell me!

She also has a trait, "She has an active sense of humor." Which is pretty funny as well because apparently, what dwarves say is also influenced by their traits.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:45:49 am by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven humor
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 01:43:55 pm »

About 3 forts ago I had a joker that asked if I heard "the one about the black mamba and the dwarf", this was immediately after the mason was killed by a black mamba. I thought it was hilarious, though since his lover and two friends were shaken up I imagine she got a lot of dirty looks over the next few weeks.

Assuming that wasn't a random coincidence, this is probably an indication that jokes- like engravings- can be based on historical events.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 01:48:38 pm »

Assuming that wasn't a random coincidence, this is probably an indication that jokes- like engravings- can be based on historical events.
That would be one heck of a coincidence if it was. But it certainly wasn't.

It is also popularly agreed to that wrong humor is the best humor, although wrong humor is not necessarily good humor...
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 02:04:27 pm »

The cherry on top would be a dwarf replying "Too soon!"

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:41:06 pm »

About 3 forts ago I had a joker that asked if I heard "the one about the black mamba and the dwarf", this was immediately after the mason was killed by a black mamba. I thought it was hilarious, though since his lover and two friends were shaken up I imagine she got a lot of dirty looks over the next few weeks.

To be fair, that could technically be the start of a story.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Edward Evjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 08:22:09 pm »

Leave it too dwarf fortress for humour to be generated by code.
This isn't the first time the game has been funny though. I guess dwarfs are just able to appreciate it now.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 12:46:37 am »

They might use is as a coping mechanism.

"My family has just been murdered by a black bear. Guess I'll have to grin and bear it. Hehehehehuhuhu..."
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 06:43:51 am »

No
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 08:25:33 am »

"My family has just been murdered by a black bear. Guess I'll have to grin and bear it. Hehehehehuhuhu..."

My wife's corpse was trying to batter the door down last night. "The vicar said 'Till death do you part', honey."
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:42:50 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>