Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The strangest thing just happened...  (Read 1478 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
The strangest thing just happened...
« on: November 16, 2013, 10:35:27 pm »

I'm playing on my project fort (Caving in the world) and a mood finishes, creating a bone axe. Okay, whatever. I was busy with other things at the time, namely preventing my fort from dehydrating to death, so I didn't bother checking its description.

A while later, another mood happened. This time it was an acacia crossbow. I usually check every description for interesting details of history and such, so this time I opened the artifacts tab, remembered I hadn't looked at the battle axe, and selected it first.

It had an image of the crossbow on it.

What. The. HELL?

I can think of two explanations: 1) Dwarves occasionally see the future; or 2) the axe's description wasn't created until the first time I looked at it, ergo it had an image of the crossbow on it.

If it's the second reason, I'm far less freaked out, but if I were in this room alone I'd have shouted aloud when I read the axe's description. It flipped me for a loop.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The strangest thing just happened...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 10:45:56 pm »

I remember a thread like this a few months back. It's the second option. To save time/memory the game doesn't determine the details of objects and decorations until you actually look at them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 10:50:40 pm »

Must be a bug in the space time continuum of Dwarf Fortress. That is awesome.

Edit: Aw, disappointed that dwarves can't see the future.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:50:50 pm »

I remember a thread like this a few months back. It's the second option. To save time/memory the game doesn't determine the details of objects and decorations until you actually look at them.

Aye. When any decorations are created, the game just defines them as 'some stuff' to save space, since you don't always look at all the artwork.

So when you look at an old artifact, and another one has been generated since then, the game will resolve that 'some stuff' with important historical events, such as the creation of the newer artifact.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 11:01:34 pm »

That's disappointing and reassuring at the same time.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 09:42:00 am »

I can only imagine how amusing such an incident would be with a planepacked artifact.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 10:46:12 am »

It's Schrodinger's Artifact!

Don't be tempted by this to save scum for a cooler description, though.  Save scumming is a good way to wreck your save, unless that was fixed.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 04:08:24 am »

I can only imagine how amusing such an incident would be with a planepacked artifact.

Imagine what it'd do with two of them in the same fort.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 11:42:11 am »

And if both referenced each other.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 12:23:03 pm »

It's Schrodinger's Artifact!

Don't be tempted by this to save scum for a cooler description, though.  Save scumming is a good way to wreck your save, unless that was fixed.

Save scumming hasn't screwed up any of my saves so far. I don't mod beyond a little raw editing, anyway (I wanted to war-train hyenas).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 12:39:03 pm »

Save scumming is a good way to wreck your save, unless that was fixed.
It was fixed back in the early 3D versions (with the introduction of the "data/save/current" folder) - it's really only dangerous to use back in 23a if you don't make your own save backups.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 05:14:57 pm »

It happens. I imagine that when you ask to see the description, the dwarf goes "wait, really? Um, Okay, give me moment."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 09:29:09 pm »

From savescumming, I learned that artifact names, but not item types, are chosen at the start of the mood, and even the material from which it's made can be changed if you're lucky (and you care).

I had a weaponsmith--who had no preference for any type of weapon--get a secretive mood, so I saved to see what happened. She made a spear called "Butcherfondle the Rewards of Skinning." I savescummed to try again, and this time it was a crossbow with the same name. I repeated this until she gave me a short sword or an axe, the only weapons that would make sense for butchering or skinning.
A metalcrafter who liked tin got moody, and I said, "Pshaw, tin? Gold is so much cooler, and I have a ton of it. Use some gold instead." Happily, one of the materials that he needed to adorn his artifact was 'metal bars,' so I forbade all the other metal in the fort except gold. Once it was at the workshop, I then forbade the bar of tin, and all the other materials before the gold bar, then un-paused and un-forbade them again. They all got dragged away, and the moody metalcrafter (eventually) made an amulet from the topmost material present in the workshop: gold.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 10:18:44 am »

I made a thread a little time ago, it was about something with an image of an elf bone short sword and the next artifact was an elf bone short sword.
I'm with stupid |
                      v