Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let the useless Urist die  (Read 788 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let the useless Urist die
« on: November 14, 2013, 02:21:54 pm »

I am under siege, an Undead siege. Not a big deal, but I do not want to succumb to the unded, so I am behind walls.
I digged a "siege trap" tunnel, but the entrance is not mined. How can I let the game use the most useless digger to open it up?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: Let the useless Urist die
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:24:21 pm »

Turn off mining labours on everyone but the doomed heroic dorf you want to dig it out.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 02:26:59 pm »

Could be an idea.
Not sure if he would be able to survive, though, since the zombies are outside the main gate and the tunnel is not nearby, but still I do not want to risk my best miners.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 02:46:56 pm »

Can you dig to the entry from below, and carve a/some up ramp(s) to the surface?  Just give Olon McCheesemaker a pickaxe and directions, while Urist McMason quietly builds a wall behind her....
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 02:55:49 pm »

I can station the army behind the Miner
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 03:44:48 pm »

Yes this is a perfect job for those useless politically gifted dwarves that show up with the migrant waves with no useful skills.  "So, you're a champion gnat-wrestler!  Well, well.  We have just the job for you..."
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 04:45:08 pm »

You could wall off the area with only one miner able to reach the mining area.... of course, depending on how big the horde is, if they survive, you're required to make them the new militia commander...

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:38:15 pm »

I'd personally use the same mechinism used for vampires in my forts. Pull lever assigned to the vampire miner, door closes behind them. They are then the only one who can path to the job.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.