Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to keep Dwarfs out of caverns?  (Read 1009 times)

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to keep Dwarfs out of caverns?
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:49:04 pm »

So lately my dwarfs have been wandering into the caverns for absolutely no reason at all, and dying or killing their children. dwrfs y u do dis Anyone know an efficient way to keep the general populace out for the most part?

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep Dwarfs out of caverns?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 08:57:35 pm »

Walls. Or locked doors at least.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:05:06 pm »

I want to keep it open, I just don't want my dwarfs to wander carelessly and get killed in them.

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 09:40:25 pm »

I usually try to pacify at least the first cavern level- by which I mean have my miners clear out all the pillars and cramped spaces- save for a few select areas where traps are placed to thin out creatures. Furthermore, I establish a standing garrison of ten or so swordsdwarfs to deal with forgotten beasts or the odd creature that makes it through the traps.

If such a solution seems unfeasable for the moment, wherever you don't want your civilians to travel restrict foot-travel. I can't remember the keys off the top of my head, unfortunately.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 11:19:33 pm »

d-o-r

I use DFHack, so what I would do (if I had the desire) would be to designate all of the fort and surface as a burrow which autoburrow will automatically expand, and set civ alert to it.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 07:33:32 am »

What jobs are your dwarfs performing, when they go down?  I, personally, make sure to hit (o)rders - (W)orkshop orders - (l) no auto loom immediately, so that dwarfs don't go wandering the caverns looking for silk.  Also, if you haven't set an (i) zone for fishing and/or drinking, and set your (o)rders - (z)one orders - (d()(f) - zone only drinking/fishing, then you might be seeing fishery workers pathing to exposed subterranian lakes.

Otherwise, setting burrows to restrict your beards may be the solution.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 08:02:12 am »

Don't set a meeting zone down there maybe?

If you used animals to explore caverns, there could be a meeting zone you forgot to re move.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 07:13:04 pm »

Turns out I had set dwarfs to collect used ammo, forgetting my marksdwarfs hunt in the caverns. I'll set the fishing zones as well, haven't played in a while and forgot to do that.

Also working on pacifying the caverns. I had been kinda clearing the pillars out, but I'll do it strategically for once, and place traps further out from my entrance for the monsters.

I'll also set up a room for my second squad of swordsdwarfs to train down there, just in case.

Thanks guys!