Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I make a danger room?  (Read 1288 times)

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
How do I make a danger room?
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:08:27 am »

...And get my dorfs to go in it?

Really, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get them to go into the danger room. It's adjacent to the barracks and has a nice little slot for dodging. Training my dodging is a necessity for keeping my dorfs nice and skilled in the arts of war.

Can you help me out?
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

NSKShadow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make a danger room?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:12:12 am »

First post, after a long time of lingering in the shadows...

Anyway, danger rooms are quite easy to build. First, build your barracks. Usually I just make a 5x5 room which works for me. Then, on one of the walls in the barracks mine 4 blocks in a straight line. On the first one, place a door. You should then have a 1x3 long corridor like room. In this room, place 3 weapon traps that contain 10 wooden training spears each. Connect all three to a level outside. Once this is done, get all your squad armoured up and with their preferred weapons (As this can also level their weapon skills) and station them in there. Station them on the furthest block, inside the room. Make their you set the door to not pet-passable, and any female dwarfs with babies should be removed from the squad.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Once you've done that, set the lever that is connected to the weapons to be pulled on repeat, and let them go for a few minutes. Don't leave it for too long or they may get unhappy thoughts.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:14:09 am by NSKShadow »

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:47:07 am »

I've noticed some of my dorfs refuse to enter my danger room, so If you have this problem, add another corridor behind it with a door, it can limit how many can be trained at once, but it can be helpful...

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 03:15:08 pm »

Then, on one of the walls in the barracks mine 4 blocks in a straight line. On the first one, place a door. You should then have a 1x3 long corridor like room. In this room, place 3 weapon traps that contain 10 wooden training spears each. Connect all three to a level outside.

Actually, you better make the corridor one tile longer (1 tile for a door and 4 tiles for spears). Stationed dwarfs move to within 3 tiles from their destination, so you want 4 tiles long corridor. Also, you want all other tiles be inaccessible, to force dwarf into the corridor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are enough space to train dodging in the design, but you can replace some walls with statues.

Also, beware pets following dwarfs to danger room. Tightly closed doors is not enough to prevent it.

The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 06:04:22 pm »

In this room, place 3 weapon traps that contain 10 wooden training spears each.

I used upright spears in mine, but I suppose weapon traps would avoid the annoyance of having the room inaccessible because the spears are in the wrong position...

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 09:43:36 pm »

In this room, place 3 weapon traps that contain 10 wooden training spears each.

I used upright spears in mine, but I suppose weapon traps would avoid the annoyance of having the room inaccessible because the spears are in the wrong position...
I think NSK meant to say upright spears, not weapon traps, because weapon traps don't target dwarves or any other friendlies.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 10:34:52 pm »

Huh, I don't do it like you guys.

I usually make my danger room somewhere away from things. It's a narrow corridor like you guys, but at the back of it goes a weapon rack, then a door, then 1 upright spike trap filled with training spears, then another door, then a lever. So I guess that's 5 tiles long.

Set the 1st door to internal but locked (s-o-l), then make the weapon rack a barracks and tell the military to train in that room, which will now cover the 1st door and the trap but stop at the 2nd door. The lever is hooked up to the trap. Once they're all inside and happily piled into that one tile where the trap is, the 2nd door is set to locked and the lever is pulled on repeat.

It looks like this:
oooooo
oRDtDL
oooooo

The hard part is making sure I never assign a female to the military, or at least relieve the ones with babies from service, and then pen all the war animals. I've lost a lot of dogs and babies to training spear wounds.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 12:15:34 am »

I usually have a squad called "basic training" that only trains in my danger room.  The danger room has a single rack or stand, is queried as a barracks and only "Basic training" is assigned to train there.

I also usually have a series of tightly closed doors like airlocks that lead to the danger room.  That usually keeps the pets out, since they get stuck behind one door or another.

When the recruits are sufficiently trained up, I move them to one of my active duty squads elsewhere in the fortress.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 03:05:07 pm »

Ninja'd by Bihlbo, he already posted this design

Here is the most efficient and perfect danger room there can be. I didn't invent it, but I forget who did. It was someone on these forums.
d-open door
D-Door marked internal and locked forever
T: A single upward spike trap full of 10 training spears
R: Weapon rack
w: walls

wwwww
dTDRww
wwwww

The barracks is designated from the inacessible weapon rack and only covers three tiles: the rack itself, the locked door and the trap.

As such the dwarves can only ever stand on the trap and they only have a single tile and no where to go.

For best results lock the entrance when danger room is operative (will save cats, prevent dodging out)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 03:06:42 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 03:43:23 am »

Haven't read all the posts so forgive me if this layout has been suggested, but I personally just put an armor stand in the middle of a 3x3 room. Then I lay out 3 training spears on each of the other spaces, wire them all up to one lever, and have that repeatedly pressed whilst the room is designated as a training area for 1-2 of my squads. This way whole squads can train in it freely, and leave freely as they wish.

Also, I keep my whole barracks and the 5 doors leading up to the danger room inaccessible to pets, as they tend to get in the room and pollute the floors with their blood. Also worth noting is that soldiers with babies will become soldiers without babies.

It also spices up the life of one of my idler dwarfs, constantly pressing one lever in the meeting room, never knowing what it does, not socializing, always imagining.