Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Children siege  (Read 1063 times)

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Children siege
« on: November 11, 2013, 02:01:31 pm »

My fort is infested with children...

First migration wave : 2 dwarves and 4 children

Second migration wave : 4 dwarves and 5 children

Third wave : 14 dwarves and 23 children....

I dont know what to do anymore. I even resorted to the vile save scumming but the ratio of children remains roughly the same, I frankly do not know what to do anymore? give up?

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 02:13:34 pm by Rinkanu »

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: Children siege
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 02:03:25 pm »

You could either keep them and train them to supersoldiers using good old torture conditioning, or you could cause an unfortunate accident.

Rinkanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 02:15:17 pm »

I have gone back to an older save just before the migration hits 8 times now. EVRY single time there is an absurd amount of children.
I am afraid that even if i kill them all the next wave will just screw me over again. Any idea why i am getting these children rushes?

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 02:19:58 pm »

It's natural really. Maybe it's due to your wealth or something, or lack of choldren prior to the migrations.

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 02:35:00 pm »

Man, i was clicking on this thread hoping that you got invanded by underaged goblins or something :(
I quite like children, maybe because i like having the little, bearded buggers running around in the fortress helping their mothers harvest and playing with little wooden swords. I like the picture honestly, its like normal DF just wthout the blood, gore, body parts, monstrosities, invading gobling forces led by devils, dragons, syndromes that cause little Urists dad to swell up and explode, tantrums that causes people to break every bone of someone while on fire, trolls, semi-megabeasts, donkey-titans, cave ins, HFS and of course magma. Its a peaceful picture and the only that thing keeps making me happy while i play DF...apart from the fun i have while i see...well !!FUN!! happen to my dwarves. I simply love this game :D
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.
I jumped off a ramp in a cave and exploded.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 02:50:40 pm »

I like them too, in fact I'm running a forteess with 50% baby pop. 100 children exactly.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 04:07:15 pm »

I was thinking of putting them in a burrow easily reached by invaders...the traps can take care of the rest.  seriously, I'm up to 92 dwarves and about 40 of them are kids.  Mind, one got killed by a were-gila, and no one batted an eye.  I imagine that doing this will lead to Fun.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Meme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 07:30:34 pm »

Now I'm a new player, so my idea might not be the best but I can try  :D

To prevent a tantrum spiral, because killing off 40 kids at once will probably do that, kill them off fast enough that the next migration won't result in a positive net result for kids, even if it's one, but fast enough that the kid's will go down. Might take a while but once it's done, it's done and you don't even have to kill them all, just kill them to your liking. I had to do this in my one fort which I had a million cage traps in an Untamed Wilds, which meant half a ton of animal men. But since i'm horrible with military( Both because I had no weapon or armour smith in that fort, but because I'm just bad at the system in general) I just took the spare crossbows from the hunters ( I wanted live animals, not dead ones!) Put them in a weapon trap behind a door, had someone become a weapon smith for bolts, and ta-da! No more animal men, and no more babies for you.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 08:07:20 pm »

Pff, if you have 52 adults, less than 52 children qualify as 'dangerously few', and only 104 qualify as 'many'. A threshold for 'too many' doesn't exist. There is no such thing as too many dwarf children :P

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 08:07:42 pm »

Are they actual kids below the age of 12 years, or one of those dorfs who migrate to your fort as a 50 year old manchild? If it's the latter, you could just wait for their birthday to come around and then recruit them as a bloodsoaker or whatever it is that peasants do these days again.

If it's the former, well. A bridge, a lever, a crunch.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 08:17:51 pm »

One option is to wait till you get a vampire, then lock every child in the fortress in with him. The deaths will be spread out enough to prevent a tantrum spiral, and if you have some way to remove the corpses, even the children should stay happy. Until, well... you know.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Desgeretjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 09:29:11 pm »

Chuck em into childcare, i.e a prison.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 08:08:42 am »

Man, i was clicking on this thread hoping that you got invanded by underaged goblins or something :(
I quite like children, maybe because i like having the little, bearded buggers running around in the fortress helping their mothers harvest and playing with little wooden swords. I like the picture honestly, its like normal DF just wthout the blood, gore, body parts, monstrosities, invading gobling forces led by devils, dragons, syndromes that cause little Urists dad to swell up and explode, tantrums that causes people to break every bone of someone while on fire, trolls, semi-megabeasts, donkey-titans, cave ins, HFS and of course magma. Its a peaceful picture and the only that thing keeps making me happy while i play DF...apart from the fun i have while i see...well !!FUN!! happen to my dwarves. I simply love this game :D
Hobbit Fortress?