Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Protection during cavern mining?  (Read 1977 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Protection during cavern mining?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 05:28:16 pm »

FBs can come from any cavern, but only when you have 80 dwarves or a wealth of 100000 dwarfbucks.

they are completely random and have different compositions and attacks. ones made of minerals, metals or ice are quite tough. ones made of fire, water, mud or vomit are very fragile.
And don't forget the organic, meaty ones. They're about mid-range, a trained military can beat them, but they'll slaughter your civilians. However, they are an excellent part of a dwarven breakfast

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 09:47:54 pm »

CRUUUUUUUUUUNNNNDDDDDDLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLES!

Catch crundles, train crundles, breed crundles, eat the bastards.

In regards to the original question, if you're swimming in puppies, it wouldn't hurt to assign war dogs to the key people who frequent the caves.

I modded in war crundles and throw them in suicide waves at sieges.
I agree, crundles are great. You can also make lever linked crundlecage bombs to disrupt enemy archers.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 10:17:38 pm »

Every time I have an entrance to the caves I keep it walled off until I build up some good defenses. Mining veins is no excuse for not doing this. You can either eschew the minerals that would breach the cavern, or wall it back up after harvesting. Once you have the military and a well-protected and trapped entrance built, break through to the cave and start preparing to wall off all of the entrances to that cavern, which usually takes a while. Remember, baddies (let's face it, it's usually crundles) spawn at any place along the edge where they can walk, so you can either wall off the edge and let crundles appear on top of the wall, or you can wall one tile back to keep them contained. I usually do the latter, then once every entrance is so walled I begin sealing up to the ceiling to prevent fliers from having access. Later I move the wall back one in all but one entrance, which becomes the only place crundles appear.
Pages: 1 [2]