Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems getting my marksdwarf squad consistently attacking  (Read 822 times)

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems getting my marksdwarf squad consistently attacking
« on: November 06, 2013, 02:36:55 am »

I'm having a problem getting my marksdwarfs to attack things consistently.  If they're on the same z-level they're fine.  If they're up one z-level I get weird results.  For instance, I build an outside wall, with a floor and fortifications above it.  A Minotaur came along and they were stationed on the wall but didn't even shoot at it when it was 2 squares away from them. 

Similar situation: I build a pit to release caged baddies into for target practice (since archers never freaking use their archery targets no matter what I do).  The goblin I released into there they shot dead instantly.  The Draltha they don't even shoot at all, I've even given them the kill order.  So basically now I have to send my melee squad in there to kill it.  I suspect when I drop my caged minotaur in there they won't shoot it either. 

What's going on here? What am I missing? Why would they shoot the goblin but not the draltha? And not the minotaur?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Problems getting my marksdwarf squad consistently attacking
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 04:00:09 am »

For the first one and possibly the second, as strange as it may sound I think I've read that of the two options to make them shoot stuff, being in proximity or kill orders, one of them requires that your dwarves can path to the target. If both kill orders and simply stationing them within range upon the wall within range doesn't work, I don't know.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 05:44:32 am »

If the marksdwarf is 1 level above the enemy and the enemy is to close then the marksdwarf cannot shoot him because he cannot
shoot through the floor. The shooting angle in regard of up and downward is a little limited behind a fortification.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 09:05:31 am »

On problem number 1, I concur that most likely they didn't shoot because the minotaur was too close to the wall and under the minimum elevation of the marksdwarfs.

On problem number 2, I believe the kill order is the one that requires there to be a path. Beyond that I'm also confused. In my current live target practice range *some* of the marksdwarfs do shoot the pitted goblins through the fortifications *some* of the time. The problem is, it seems somewhat random. When I station them in the room behind the fortifications, they mostly just hang around but occasionally one or two run up to the fortifications and shoot until they run out of ammo. Then they go for more bolts, come back to the room and just chill again. Does anyone know if looking through fortifications has an effect on vision range or accuracy?
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 12:32:14 pm »

As I recall, low-skill marksdwarves need to be adjacent to the forification in order to shoot through it.  As they get better then they will shoot from 2+ tiles away.

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 12:49:08 pm »

As I recall, low-skill marksdwarves need to be adjacent to the forification in order to shoot through it.  As they get better then they will shoot from 2+ tiles away.

My pallisades are 1 tile wide - they're always next to the fortification.  Maybe it was the angle,  I moved them to the end of the hall and they did shoot some goblins way down the hallway.  Still can't get my pit to work consistently and there are no fortifications in there, they shot the goblin in the exact same place the draltha is pathing but they won't shoot him.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 09:32:34 pm »

they shot the goblin in the exact same place the draltha is pathing but they won't shoot him.
Not sure if military dwarves will kill non-hostile beasties without a kill order, and kill orders require a path... If you really want to have your archers kill the draltha, maybe you should specify that only the archers attack it and open the door? not sure if it'll work, they may run up and club it to death with their crossbows, but it seems worth a try...