Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guilt after arranging an 'accident'.  (Read 1127 times)

Merari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guilt after arranging an 'accident'.
« on: November 10, 2013, 04:14:22 pm »

So, I have a mature fortress called Raziden, or 'Toothpaddles' in the human tongue.

Everything is finished, great walls surround most of the overworld, with drawbridges great and small to provide access. Ramps only reachable from underground allow the marksdwarves of Toothpaddles to safely engage the enemy halted at the walls of the fort from above.
All that is left to do really is to keep food, drink and cloth industry going, and getting as much dwarves as possible to wear armour, for protection and because it's easier than clothes.

It is a Mountainhome and when the king arrived with his consort she was immediately attacked and killed for being a werebeast. Her killer then got killed by the soldiers and that was that. The king didn't really seem to mind, happy as he was with the quarters we had prepared for him, the decoration of which had used most our platinum.
He was a jolly old sort, one of the first of his kind and always prone to helping a hand. He never felt it above his station to bring someone water, cut a gem or listen to the grievances of an upset citizen.

However it was his love for gems that became his undoing. You see, our king kept asking for large gems to be produced and we did the best we could. We even went so far as to re-open the mines in search of gems, but we only need so much stone and no more ore at all really.
In the end his demands became more frequent and even though our king was the only one authorised to cut gems of any sort, the repeated failure to produce large gems frustrated him enough to convict seemngly random dwarves to up to three months in jail. The overseer had to go to great lengths to ensure no prisoners died of thirst.

Eventually a midnight meeting hatched a foul scheme, the king was lured to inspect a part of the lava shute, a bridge closed that should have remained open and another bridge that should have remained closed accidentally got opened, sending our monarch into the lava sea.
All the overseer could do was watch as he burned up, screaming: "I don't understand, what have I done, help me!"

The dwarf he had sent to prison last was still there and got released, was elected mayor.
He likes amulets and has forbidden the export of those, an edict which doesn't hurt the non-amulet producing Mountainhome of Toothpaddles.
The overseer can only hope he won't start demanding the production of masses of them.

Meanwhile I must confess that I do feel guilty, which is a bit odd seeing as the king was a square bit of pixels.
He lost his wife on arrival, didn't mind much, resqued wounded soldiers from the battlefield, created many a masterwork cut gem and I consigned him to lava for his troubles. :(

I've decided to put a memorial slab into every room dwarfs spend their free time in, the well, statue gardens and dining hall.
I will also make memorials out of his rooms.

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
Re: Guilt after arranging an 'accident'.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 04:28:40 pm »

There is no need for guilt over mercy killing someone and saving them from something even worser. Besides every dwarves love magma!..

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 04:51:11 pm »

Cutting green glass will produce Large Green Glass gems, but I'm not sure if that would have counted as the right kind of item.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Merari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 04:52:45 pm »

This is an exceptional conglomerate memorial to Kol Kolostar. It is encircled with bands of exceptionally worked pear-cut lapis lazuli, superior quality radiant cut pyrites and finely-crafted radiant cut milk quartzes. This object menaces with spikes of superior quality fortification agate.

The slab reads: "In memory of Kol Kolostar/ Went missing in the year 74/ King of the Young Rag, 1 to 74/ Loving father and husband/ Lover of iron."

:'(

What an unfitting end for such a great monarch.
I think the overseer should spread the tale that one day, at the time Toothpaddles needs him most, the missing king will return.

Cutting green glass will produce Large Green Glass gems, but I'm not sure if that would have counted as the right kind of item.

Oops.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 04:55:32 pm by Merari »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 05:43:37 pm »

but... he wont.

Your dwarves will be very sad when they get killed by demons and their king did not return!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Merari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 07:19:36 pm »

Im sure the overseer will find a nicely symbolic and dwarven way, quite likely involving levers.
Besides, I'm not going to go to that place this playthrough, it's my first serious fps managment experiment.
Thanks to liberal use of aforementioned lava shute I've been able to keep my fps between 20 and 25 and that's do-able.
I've also avoided caverns, my embark is completely flat land abovegorund and I kept world history young in case any of that helps.

Next time I'm going to experiment in managing nobles by seeking those that don't like anything dwarves can construct. Made my original expedition leader the noble and he likes anvils too much.

I do still feel guilty over killing the king even though it is a year later now in-game.
I should name things after him, perhaps nickname a baby or two 'Kolly', graduating to 'Kol'when they grow up.

Edit:

"Kolly" Kuletkezat has been quite content lately.
He has good social skills, likes gems and best of all is a grandson of the king.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 07:31:16 pm by Merari »

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 07:50:34 pm »

Don't worry too much about it, people have done much worse to characters for far less, including but not limited to: cat burning pits, dwarven daycare, the lever of mystery, mermaid farming... seriously, I could keep going...

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 09:11:21 pm »

Yeah, I get what you mean; it's a shame when you have to kill off a decent noble because they insist on some near-unobtainable object. Even more so when it's the king, because having a monarch is kind of a sign that you've got a good rich fort going. Demands are better now than they used to be, but large gems, specific toys or instruments, and unobtainable materials are still a problem.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 03:15:27 am »

Don't be upset. It was unfortunate, indeed, but a dwarf's duty is to move on and keep working. Be like the dwarves under you, and remain stoic in the face of adversity, unless it becomes too much for you; and you snap, and kill everyone you love in a fit of rage at the unknown forces that guide you.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 07:40:11 am »

Yes, no tantrum spirals permitted among deities... well, except for Failcannon, and that was a special case...
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.