Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fortress defence tips?  (Read 3684 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress defence tips?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 02:06:51 pm »

Can you give us a reference to where that's stated?
Quietust posted it at some point. He's the guy with access to a lot of the game's nuts and bolts.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

tenshi99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 03:00:03 pm »

automated atom-smasher solve most of invasions. easy. automated. deadly dangerous. dorfy
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:03:43 pm by tenshi99 »

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 03:47:31 pm »

The tenshi99 gestures!
The Bay12 thread corpse shudders and begins to move!

:P
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 03:52:42 pm »

Do dragons need a path to their targets to fry them? Cause I was thinking of putting a raising bridge between him and the fortifications to avoid snipergoblins, and another to close off its enclosure so it cant charge out into melee.

I have  nice enough military, but superheated lizard-spit seems dorfier :D
My own experience with dragons tells me.
1. The silly lizards won't breath fire through fortifications.
2. They don't need a path in order to breath fire.

With one of my war trained dragons, I dug a 3x3 vertical walled pit 1 level deep leaving the central tile intact on top of which I then designated a 1x1 pasture zone where I placed the dragon. Access to the pasture was via a retracting bridge. The dragon was then unable to move from his pasture and would happily fry any enemies who got too close. Had to replace a few hatch covers and pressure plates that got caught in the dragon fire as well. When I replaced those destroyed items, I also built a few "shadow walls" that would keep the replacements out of the line of fire.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 07:54:40 pm »

I gave up the real estate-hogging corridor design a while back. I didn't like how insecure it was. What I'm doing now is a:

If invaders make it inside the fort they will find a spot with further insurance against destruction, like a dragon or a lava splatter, or spike traps hooked up to a waterwheel power source. Something. Then, you know, 20 axelords with pet names for their choppers. I don't expect them to spill blood in the next 50 years though, so everything on the interior can wait.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 12:54:01 pm »

The tenshi99 gestures!
The Bay12 thread corpse shudders and begins to move!

:P

This ones better :p

Personaly I make a 10x10 room.  In that room I build 5 1x9 raising bridges lined up with alternating sides so they force a zig zag pattern when raised(lowered when dwarves are collecting the goblinite.)  I fill the path between the bridges with traps.  First 2 rows get traps with 2-3 swords in them.  The idea is for mobs to get some bleeding wounds but hopefuly not outright kill them.  Row 3 tends to be 5 spiked balls per trap.  Aim is to cripple/kill the already bleeding targets.  row 4 is mixed assortments of 10 weapons in each trap.  At this point anything that reaches here I want dead.  They are far enough in that if leaders get here their squad is in the trap already not milling at the entrance.  row 5 is cage traps, they very rarely get triggered but anything that got through the first 4 rows is probably going to survive another one so entrapment is the best option. At the end of the coridor room is a single upstair leading to a hatch cover I can lock if I want to save my bait, A pasture where I put said bait, and a bridge that is closed any time I'm not either restocking the bait or sending dwarves in to clean out the traps.

I also tend to put a bridge at the entrance to the trap room that I can close traping anythign inside prior to my pumping in a liquid of choice if needed to finish off any straglers that didnt have the decency to die in a timely manner and are just laying on the floor in the trap room.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 10:26:31 pm »

I hadn't thought of filling the STD with water...  I do have a river right next to it. I could plug it, fill it, then drain it with just some levers. Oooohh, that sounds fun.
Pages: 1 [2]