Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unusually badass Goblin swordsman  (Read 3079 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unusually badass Goblin swordsman
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 01:40:02 pm »

How far does a goblin/rutherer/troll have to fall before its fatal?  The wiki says 25 z-levels but that seems a bit excessive, since just falling two floors will eff my dorfs up...
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 01:57:00 pm »

How far does a goblin/rutherer/troll have to fall before its fatal?  The wiki says 25 z-levels but that seems a bit excessive, since just falling two floors will eff my dorfs up...
Dwarves aren't very good at sticking the landing... most of my prisoners walk away from a 3-4 z level fall with only a few bruises, even with the spikes, they only have light injuries. I've dropped them down around 10 z levels (maybe slightly more), they can still walk away, but they usually collapse from the pain of impact (and impalement on spikes) shortly after, then wake up, and crawl back into the cage traps to sleep off their pain in our lovely prison, until I drop them again... I should probably have made the drop higher, but where's the fun in instant death?

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 03:29:55 pm »

I can see that ending badly...

The ground strikes Amxu Zurdosxuspgas!
The attack misses!
*Amxu Zurdosxuspgas is now a Legendary Flier*
Amxu Zurdosxuspgas is enraged!
Urist McSittingDuck has been struck down x187
Your fortress has crumbled to its end...

HEY that is sig material right there sir.
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 10:25:21 pm »

But why drop what you can use? Tie them up and shoot at them, or swing wooden swords at their armored bodies for experience.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 10:47:11 pm »

But why drop what you can use? Tie them up and shoot at them, or swing wooden swords at their armored bodies for experience.
Unfortunately, I'm still being sieged, and so many of my dwarves have died that I can't even keep up efficient logistics in my fortress... the place is probably a lost cause at this point, but I figure I may as well see what happens if I set up 40 crossbow dwarves on a wall to rain bolts onto the gobbos... At this point, I think the weapon masters are just a symptom of me growing wealth too fast without building adequate defenses...

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 10:49:46 pm »

Probably. It's the same problem I have. My next move's going to be designating a certain percentage of my population to different job categories, including military, and seeing if I can't improve that.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 12:41:47 am »

Besides another badass, counters for an expert dodger is to just let RNG do the work by raining bolts. If one hits then the dodger is usually too crippled to dodge effectively.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 11:02:26 am »

Does killing a target net you extra XP? I don't think so, but it'd be very useful if landing the killing blow netted you extra XP to the skill used in the killing, based on the age and skills of the target. So that killing a Master of some kind got you a better bonus than just killing recruits and such.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 12:46:38 pm »

Does killing a target net you extra XP? I don't think so, but it'd be very useful if landing the killing blow netted you extra XP to the skill used in the killing, based on the age and skills of the target. So that killing a Master of some kind got you a better bonus than just killing recruits and such.
I don't think there's that kind of xp, I think it's just for how many shots fired or blows dealt/blocked/taken. That said, a live target will bring a lot more combat xp than just sparring or shooting an archery target, possibly due to actual combat being more intense and aggressive, with more hitting, dodging and blocking.
Pages: 1 [2]