Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What to do with an inorganic forgotten beast?  (Read 13803 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with an inorganic forgotten beast?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 09:25:28 pm »

Why is drowning it not possible? If water is not good, then magma? Cave-in's? Dropping it into an abyss? Putting it on the outside of your fortress so that it may clean up all those goblins for ya?

Drowning - They don't breathe, I assume
Magma - Might work.  It depends on the melting temp of the beast's substance
Cave-ins - Work well, apparently
Abyss - Well, chasms are gone.  So abysses are rather hard to find.
Outside the fortress - probably the best idea

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2010, 09:32:29 pm »

Forgotten beast? Wear it as a hat.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 09:01:02 am »

The Elves would appreciate it as a gift, but they hate it when you give them caged animals. You'll have to guide the beast to their caravan through a closed path, and then they can frolic and whatever it is Elves do.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 10:01:34 am »

if you dont mind raw editing, you can make the boiling pont of the inorganic material very low, then itīll be a second until its just a cloud of forgotten beast vapor:)
just remind to do it in the raws of the saves, not tthe game raws

That sounds doable. If your people get it to "80% of body parts broken", vaporize it.
Unless it's made of steam, vomit or amber (which is not in the raws). I've encountered the vomit and amber models.

I really dislike the bug-created feature of "15 meters tall metal humanoid in the 1.5 to 2.5 meter corridors, stoppable only by walls, pits and cave-ins but not by 3000 axe blows."
Also... you get about three FBs before you get your first goblins.
Wonder if Toady will make a tag [INVULNERABLE_TO_ALL_COMBAT] for the modders. For 100-meter tall squirrel demigods.

==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 11:41:13 am »

Okay, evil necromancy bump.
I have captured an iron quadriped: it spits frozen secretions and farts boiling dust that can apparently turn things into magma (it gets covered in magma when fighting). It can quickly kill itself somehow. It is covered with mandibles.
I have also captured an ash blob with 3 tails. It bumps into things.

Both are in a 3X4 pit. I throw them cows, kittens and elves, for gigles. But is there anything else to be done with them?
The quadriped, when dead, leaves his "Iron". It weights an incredible amount, has 0 value, and does not seem to be usable. So no melting him into an awesome sword.
Didn't kill the ash blob yet.

Tried to edit world.sav to make them tameable: game crashed.

Any uses for them?

How do you throw stuff in? I tried pitting things for my arena but they kept escaping...
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 12:01:14 pm »

How do you throw stuff in? I tried pitting things for my arena but they kept escaping...
The wiki told me how. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Activity_zone#Pit.2FPond
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2010, 09:28:24 am »

Goblins, elves, kittens and dwarves all get ripped to pieces when thrown in with a FB
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2010, 09:32:41 am »

Put their cages into a long hallway. When the Goblins start coming down the long hallway, unleash the beasts. Rinse and repeat as needed.
Hmm, just got an evil idea.
What if you breached into the Fun Unhappy Place and led them into an unkillable FB? What would happen?

Given the number and nature of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I imagine they'd just destroy everything that's breakable, then kick the FB to death forever.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 09:36:35 am »

Goblins, elves, kittens and dwarves all get ripped to pieces when thrown in with a FB
Depends on the FB.  I have a FB wandering the caverns under my current fortress that has lost fights with kittens.  Two others were killed by my roving patrols of subterranean tame hippos.  Forgotten beasts can be deadly and indestructible, or fragile and harmless, or anything inbetween.  It's random.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 10:21:40 am »

What i meant was that FB:s will attack anything they come close to except other FB:s
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

esperandus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 12:52:39 am »

Thread necro alert - found this while trying to figure out what to do with a FB that has been giving me problems. The beastie in question is a bit incongruous - An enormous tick made of feather, with deadly dust frozen extract.

My initial encounter was rather ugly, lost 4 legendary dwarven militia members. The battle lasted quite some time, and the beast had an awful lot of red around it at the end, but still seemed lively. I had taken the precaution of erecting a gateway bridge around that area in advance, so I managed to retreat the survivors and seal it off. I then fed it a variety of prisoners via mass-caging to see what would happen, gradually scaling up the number and intensity of foes, wondering if I could kill it and my foolish enemies simultaneously. Progressing over a number of years, I moved from goblins, to troglodyte quads (using masterwork mod btw), to ogres, to golems, cave dragons,magma hounds (verified that magma doesnt hurt it - just sets it on fire, apparently forever....making the next suckers who fought it that much more doomed). Finally, I created a passage to the HFS, with an airlock-style entrance, and introduced my FB to the clowns to see what would happen. It is curently happily engaged with  about a dozen of them with no sign of tiring .

It seems I will have to create an obsidian statue out of this horrible feather monstrosity. I have already dug the appropriate water channels, and it is already right next to magma. Just confirming to anyone else that they are indeed hostile to the clowns, and that if it seems unkillable, it probably is (damage does not seem to accumulate after a point) .

Most importantly, in case anyone else needs to know, things made of feather are unkillable. I could find no reference to a forgotten beast made of feather via google or a forum search, so offering my contribution to !!SCIENCE!! , bought at the cost of some brave dwarves who had had more than 100 kills before being tickled to death by a feather tick. Man, what a mental image....

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2013, 05:35:54 am »

annoying necrobump
Make a new thread. For gods sake we're not -that- low on bandwidth.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2013, 07:15:16 pm »

Remember to designate the removal of ramps (d-z), that's a problem I had earlier, that way it's not so easy to walk out of the pit

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2013, 06:13:48 am »

Remember to designate the removal of ramps (d-z), that's a problem I had earlier, that way it's not so easy to walk out of the pit
That post was made three years ago.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2013, 12:07:11 pm »

annoying necrobump
Make a new thread. For gods sake we're not -that- low on bandwidth.

Use of search funciton, relevance to thread, and interresting post, while not requesting for a brand new thread just for it.
Necro justified for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3]