Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I build at adjacent z-levels? What about bedrooms next to workshops?  (Read 789 times)

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there any disadvantage to making rooms that are right on top of each other? (Let's assume it is rock and there are no cave-ins).  There are no other structural concerns right?  Also, I've heard that sometimes dwarfs get frustrated about bedrooms adjacent to workshops, does this happen if the workshop is 1 z-level above or below the bedroom as well?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Can I build at adjacent z-levels? What about bedrooms next to workshops?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:44:24 pm »

Rooms above other rooms are no problem.
There's some conflicting information about workshops - Toady said that they make noise, but the wiki says they don't... I can't test it, but I'd trust the wiki on this one. There should be no problem with workshops next to sleeping quarters.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 04:07:40 pm »

From my experience, if you put enough doors and distance between a bed and a workshop the noise isn't a problem. Seriously, you can't have enough doors.

Also, if you want a dedicated worker to live next to his workshop and he's the only one who can use that workshop, it's not going to be noisy while he sleeps. But still, separate the quarters with a door.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 05:52:03 am »

From my experience, if you put enough doors and distance between a bed and a workshop the noise isn't a problem. Seriously, you can't have enough doors.

Also, if you want a dedicated worker to live next to his workshop and he's the only one who can use that workshop, it's not going to be noisy while he sleeps. But still, separate the quarters with a door.
I can confirm that workshops make no noise whatsoever. You can have a workshop in a dwarves bedroom in use and he won't know. Currently engraving, mining, constructing things/destroying things causes noise.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 08:26:50 am »

There's some conflicting information about workshops - Toady said that they make noise, but the wiki says they don't... I can't test it, but I'd trust the wiki on this one.
That information from Toady post-dates the most recent release, and since footsteps have never been audible it's really likely that he's talking about the upcoming release.

As far as I know, nothing makes noise right now except for furniture placement and mining.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.