Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sudden FB Appearance  (Read 703 times)

heritage727

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sudden FB Appearance
« on: October 20, 2013, 07:50:47 am »

Forgotten beasts have begun appearing in my fortress recently, and I can't figure out where they're coming from. This is a mature fortress (25 yrs), and except for clearing areas for stones and stockpiles I haven't been doing any excavations lately. I've had lots of forgotten beasts appear in the caverns over the years that haven't bothered me at all.  I've traced around the edge of the caverns and can't for the life of me see where the breach is. My only idea so far is to define a burrow inside the cavern, find a dwarf with a redroot-dyed tunic to assign to it, and follow him. Any other suggestions for figuring this out? Is there something I don't know about FBs that allows them to show up in the fortress?

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden FB Appearance
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:03:02 am »

They only show up on map edges eitehr above or in caves.
So solution is simple. There's an edge connection you havent found yet. Or missed.

whatever1works

• Bay Watcher
  • *Flips table*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:36:49 am »

Did you wall the z-levels above the ground level too? Other than that, keep looking for the breech
"Do you want some fish balls?", "No thanks I'll have a steak please"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 02:24:53 am »

Try building inside the caverns. If any build items you know to be inside your fortress appear, there's a ground-level breach and you should play hot-and-cold with the building material distances until you find it.

Alternatively, if all the FBs appearing within your fortress have been fliers, there's a gap in a wall somewhere and it's going to be hard to find. FBs can fly diagonally up or down a level, so check if there are any stairs or ramps near the caverns that don't have a full tile of stone wall between them and the cavern space.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

heritage727

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 06:59:57 am »

Alternatively, if all the FBs appearing within your fortress have been fliers, there's a gap in a wall somewhere and it's going to be hard to find. FBs can fly diagonally up or down a level, so check if there are any stairs or ramps near the caverns that don't have a full tile of stone wall between them and the cavern space.

I can only build with a couple of stones that are in the cavern, so this has to be it. Thanks.