Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No wildlife on embark...  (Read 549 times)

Gorpheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the earth!
    • View Profile
No wildlife on embark...
« on: October 21, 2013, 07:10:53 am »

Hi,

I am going to start a fortress in a terrifying freshwater marsh, but I have delayed it because in my previous forts, there has been very little to no wildlife (bar flies/mosquitoes). In my last fort, i had two mountain goats, and that was it.

Is this a bug or am i doing something wrong? I have tried reinstalling the game, making new worlds and looking through the Advanced World Gen parameters (to no avail).

How can i get some wildlife to spawn?

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: No wildlife on embark...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 08:14:19 am »

I'm assuming that you actually spent time playing with the forts when there were only two mountain goats? The wildlife don't always start on-screen, instead often migrating into the fortress area some days or weeks later.

EDIT: Ditched false info
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 08:16:08 am by Niccolo »
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Gorpheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 10:17:24 am »

Oh, i only played the forts for about 10 minutes each before i gave up. I have tried making another fort and there is much more now.

Thanks  :)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 11:52:29 am »

Yeah, you have to wait for awhile. Eventually, the animal group on the map will wander off, and a different animal group will arrive. You can hasten the process by killing or capturing every individual in the current group, causing the next group to spawn much sooner.

Also, a group that you kill off completely will never arrive again. For example, if you wipe out every group of mountain goats in the local biome, mountain goats will never arrive again, and groups of some other animal will arrive instead. You can use this to help increase the chance and frequency of "desirable" animals arriving.

Be careful, though. If you kill/capture everything, all the local wildlife will go extinct.