Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bollywood / Hindi  (Read 764 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Bollywood / Hindi
« on: October 19, 2013, 02:31:08 pm »

A week ago I got my very first exposure to Bollywood. Some friends and I decided to hit a small local theater on a whim, and they were playing Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani. One of my friends groaned about all the dancing she was sure would be involved, but I thought it sounded fun and we voted 2-1 to give it a try. I loved it. It wasn't exactly a "great film," but it was FUN. It was funny, and cute, and I thought the dancing and music were fantastic. I'm a very musical person but I don't usually feel the desire to dance - but at the end of the film, we were all dancing out of the theater. While I can see how this type of film wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, it was certainly a lot of fun and I haven't stopped humming the songs all week.

So I guess I'm a Bollywood fan now. I watched "3 Idiots" yesterday and enjoyed that one too, although I was sad there was so little music and dancing. Can anyone recommend some more good ones for me to see? I'm a total newbie here, so all advice is welcome. I want to see what else there is.

Also, I've always thought Hindi sounded like a cool and fun language, so, inspired by my enjoyment of the music, I decided to learn to at least read and write Hindi, and probably learn a few words as well. I learned all the vowels today plus the consonant "K" and how to attach the vowels to consonants. Anyone here happen to speak/read/write Hindi, could give me any pointers?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Bollywood / Hindi
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 03:11:37 pm »

I was about to recommend 3 Idiots since I've heard so much about that one being good (though I've never seen it myself).

Past that, Slumdog Millionaire? That was okay, though it's lacking in dancing and music except the very end.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 03:30:03 pm »

I did see Slumdog Millionaire when it came out. I didn't really think of that as a Bollywood film, due to the lack of musical numbers, except in the credits, as you say.

So I guess so far that's 3 Bollywood movies, counting Slumdog Millionaire, and I enjoyed them all. I don't think I'd be happy living in India, what with the terrible homophobia and rigid gender roles, intense parental involvement with their kids' lives, and just plain crowds and noise, but certain aspects of the culture (particularly the music and films, along with food and a few other things) seem to suit me very well. If only I could cobble together a new culture from the best parts of other cultures, and put it in a country with a mild climate and live there...

I think I'll use Movielens to find a few new films to watch (that's how I found 3 Idiots), but I'd definitely prefer informed suggestions from others here.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 06:45:17 am »

Alluda Mazzaka/Alluda Majaka.

That is all.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 08:51:35 am »

Can you offer any assistance in locating it? I can't find it. : (

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:11:14 am »

I honestly can't, atleast not right now since my internet sucks and I got it from a friend a long time ago.

It's somewhat hard to describe, but it's an incredibly ridicilous movie, with plenty of funny and awesome parts, and there's some dancing and singing too, which is always awesome :D

Try the shadier parts of the internet, they usually have pretty much everything.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 09:30:46 am »

That's where I've been looking. : ) I'll keep an eye out. Let me know if you track it down.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 11:22:30 pm »

Would this be what you are looking for?

Might not be available where you are?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 01:32:11 am »

No subtitles, I'm afraid. But it's okay, I found a copy of it, will watch it tonight.

Any other suggestions?