Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs won't build stairs *RESOLVED*  (Read 4225 times)

ToxicP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarfs won't build stairs *RESOLVED*
« on: October 16, 2013, 04:46:48 pm »

Hi,

I have just started playing Dwarf Fortress and am trying to get my Dwarfs to start digging down.  The problem is they will not build any stairs when I designate an area.  Other tasks like chopping trees work fine: I select the tree to be chopped and someone goes and does it.  But when I select an area for a downward stairway, nothing happens.  Am I missing a step?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:16:35 pm by ToxicP »

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs won't build stairs
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:50:07 pm »

A downward stair is only half the job. Go to the layer below and designate an up stair (or if you want to go down more on the same staircase, an up-down stair).

ToxicP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 04:58:12 pm »

No luck I'm afraid.  I have even tried designating mining into the side of hill, they don't seem interested in doing that either.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 05:04:44 pm »

The obvious question then becomes .... Do they have a pick?

ToxicP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 05:08:35 pm »

Doesn't look like it.  Shouldn't the miners have started with one?

ToxicP

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 05:15:47 pm »

Upon further reading it looks like they don't start with picks.  I didn't notice that in the demo I watched.  Thanks for the help!

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 05:16:51 pm »

Depends upon how you embark. If you choose "Play Now!", the dwarves do get a reasonable set of equipment and skills including a couple of picks. But if you choose "Prepare Carefully" and select your own equipment, you have the onus of making sure you have a pick, or some means of acquiring a pick. And even if you do embark with a pick, some wildlife can steal it (see Keas and why they're hated). But not all is lost if you have an anvil, some weapon grade metal (or something made of weapon grade metal) and the ability to make coke or charcoal. Just build the needed workshops (wood furnace, smelter, forge) and make a new pick. And since you mentioned cutting down trees, you do have an axe or two that can be melted down ... But make sure to get enough lumber for the rest of the operation... And once you're digging away with the pick, you can replace the axe easily enough.