Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tower Guard?  (Read 770 times)

Mythalinear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tower Guard?
« on: October 14, 2013, 07:36:19 pm »

I want to build a tower that overlooks the entrance to my fortress so that all those annoying thieves and snatchers get shot to pieces as they flee my fortress. Unfortunately I have run into a problem. I am not sure how to get my crossbow dwarfs to stay in the tower. So here are a few questions I have.

1. When building towers is it preferable to put the guards on "station" orders or make the tower its own burrow and assign the guards to it?
2. Are dwarfs who are on "station" orders smart enough to go eat / drink / sleep on their own?
3. Are dwarfs smart enough to go right up to a fortification to shoot enemies or do I need to do something special to make sure they will stand in the right spot?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Guard?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 07:58:24 pm »

1) Stations can work, but build up negative thoughts over time. On the other hand, soldiers on duty will not obey burrows if their job demands that they leave it, such as when they train or are issued a kill order. I would either give them a patrol order as part of their schedule and mark the tower burrow for patrolling, or put their barracks in the tower itself, to ensure that they stay near the fortifications.

2) Yes, but they tend to wait for quite a while before leaving to do so. The possibility of them starving is there.

3) If you have fortifications, put them along a one-tile wide hall to force marksdwarves up against them. They aren't smart enough to go up against fortifications to fire.

Though I would like to hear someone with better suggestions, my marksdwarves are never as effective as my "sword & board" militia.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 04:35:04 am »

2) Yes, but they tend to wait for quite a while before leaving to do so. The possibility of them starving is there.

Just put a small food and booze stockpile in the tower.

Stationing can work best for positioning the marksdwarves, as they'll mostly stay there. But patrols or military burrowing can work too, as then you can set it on their schedule (I forget if you can do that for stations too, though)
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 11:04:36 am »

You can schedule station orders the same as patrols. Or just make a patrol with only one point, if you can.

I usually have  mine set to have 3-4 Marksdwarves stationed above the entrance, while the others train, with 1 or 2 off duty so they don't all get cranky. Haven't had any issues besides having to call them away if some elite archer goblins show up and start taking them out. When 1 has to get a drink another will fill their spot on the wall.

After they are skilled enough it really only takes 1 to kill any thieves that get spotted and try to run out.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 12:35:05 pm »

You can disable all their labours, set them to Inactive, and make a barracks for them to train in inside the tower. They'll spend much of their time in there doing individual drills.

If you want to get them away from the tower, you can use burrows and civilian alerts to make them leave the tower burrow.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 08:22:37 am »

I usually set up a burrow along the fortifications and tell them to guard that

FFFFFFFFFFFF <- fortifications
|..........| <- designated burrow
==+========= <- wall with a door
|..........| <- barracks with beds and ammo and stuff
|..........|

I'll cram like 30 marksdwarves in there and they'll maim anything that wanders up.

Mythalinear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 10:03:08 am »

I tried the 'Guard Burrow' order but my dorfs didn't go into the tower. As far as I can tell that order only means 'attack enemies that enter the burrow' which doesn't necessarily mean 'stay in the tower'.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 10:39:46 am »

Odd, when I have them guard a burrow they position themselves in that burrow. What is their job when they're supposed to be guarding?