Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stockpiles in the new version  (Read 1203 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
stockpiles in the new version
« on: October 12, 2013, 11:49:08 am »

I havent moved on from the previous version until now, so questions,

Farm A grows pig tails, which are harvested and put into the stockpile A, from where they are taken to the farmer's workshop and processed into thread.

Farm B grows pig tails, which are harvested and put into the stockpile B, from where they are taken to the still and brewed.

Therefore a part of the pig tail harvest goes to clothing industry and a part goes to the food industry, with no risk of some over-active brewer dwarf turning all pig tails into alcohol while all the treshers just screw around, like it used to be in the versions past.

Does such a setup work 100% reliably?

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
Re: stockpiles in the new version
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 12:31:00 pm »

I can't think of an easy way to do this.  Farms can't be linked to a specific pile, so you would have to do this with burrows.  This would really be more complicated than it seems.

You would have to make sure that only farmers harvested plants (in the 'o'rders menu) and you would have to use burrows to limit all of your farmers to specific farm plots and specific output piles.  Otherwise, kids and nonburrowed farmers would harvest the plants and put them wherever they damn well please.

It would be much easier to just add a "Process plants: 30" into the job manager every once in a while.  As long as your thresher gets some spare time occasionally and you are growing an abundance of pig tails you should be in business.  Worst case scenario you have to go to the kitchen stocks and disable brewing on pig tails if your thresher slacks off.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 12:39:12 pm »

darn it

thanks

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 08:30:28 pm »

You would have to make sure that only farmers harvested plants (in the 'o'rders menu) and you would have to use burrows to limit all of your farmers to specific farm plots and specific output piles.  Otherwise, kids and nonburrowed farmers would harvest the plants and put them wherever they damn well please.

I thought the hauling job was generated seperately from the harvest job.  AKA someone harvests the plant and leaves it siting on the field then a hauler comes along and drags it to a stockpile.   I'd swear I've seen different dwarves come in with a pot to haul plants away after someone else harvests.  If thats the case even burrows wouldnt help unless you burrowed the haulers as well. You'd prety much have to lock the farmer in a room with the plot, food/drink beds and a dining room along with whatever industry you tied to that plot during the growing months for pig tails.

Personaly I dont bother brewing pigtails unless production is overloading my textile industry needs.  between cave wheat sweet pods and plump helmets my dwarves get enough booze variety to be happy.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 05:20:00 am »

Couple of ways of getting dwarven ale without brewing all your pig tails away:

1. Have two stockpiles. The first is small and close to the farm plot, and is linked to the brewery. The second is a bit further away, and linked to the farmer's workshop. Pig tails should end up going to the brewery stockpile first, and this stockpile will be quickly filled and the farmer's workshop's stockpile used instead.

2. Buy dwarven ale from the caravan and forget about brewing your own.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 07:33:19 am »

Couple of ways of getting dwarven ale without brewing all your pig tails away:

1. Have two stockpiles. The first is small and close to the farm plot, and is linked to the brewery. The second is a bit further away, and linked to the farmer's workshop. Pig tails should end up going to the brewery stockpile first, and this stockpile will be quickly filled and the farmer's workshop's stockpile used instead.

2. Buy dwarven ale from the caravan and forget about brewing your own.

good point, a food stockpile without barrels for pig tails would quickly fill
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.