Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid Hunter Dwarf  (Read 851 times)

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stupid Hunter Dwarf
« on: October 11, 2013, 09:11:40 pm »

So for the sake of survival, I've started training even my civilian dwarves in armor use, and have been equipping them all in armor as I make it.  I thought this would be -especially- good for hunters, as they have a habit of finding ambushers.

So I trained a couple marksdwarves up really high, made them really powerful, and then set them to be inactive 2/3 of the year.  First of all, this is kind of annoying because I have to reassign them as hunters whenever they come out of training.. but it seems like they rarely hunt when assigned this duty, and..worse..  for some reason they drop all their armor.  They don't seem to drop all their armor if they want to do any other job - they'll do mason work just fine while wearing full steel armor.  But if I assign them to hunters, they'll go and reequip everything in common clothing...

Any tips/advice?  Yes, I know I could just tell them manually to kill animals using the soldier commands... but I'd like to actually use hunters. 

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Hunter Dwarf
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 10:26:09 pm »

Hunters along with miners and woodcuters have an invisable uniform that superceeds all others when they have those jobs enabled.  Unfortunatly this means you cant put any of those 3 in the military without haveing equipment issues.  If a military dwarf is assigned to one of those 3 they will imediatly strip off their gear and go claim a new tool (marksdwarvs will go claim a new bow if assigned hunting as well)    No reall work around asside from either puting up with this behavior or avoid mixing military and those jobs.

dashadowlord

• Bay Watcher
  • this games out to get me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 01:16:59 am »

yea the three jobs that are most useful to be in your military like to drop there weapons when you draft them. i love it when all my legondary marksdwarfs/hunters drop there crossbows to wrestle down a forgotten beast. is not pretty :'(
If life were like DF, Toady's strange mood would have produced an Artifact Game of Awesome that menaces with spikes of code ten years ago.  
But it is not.
Instead, what we have is a single obsessive mason trying to carve Mt. Rushmore.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 07:57:18 pm »

I really hope that Toady one day allows us to customize the uniforms of miners/hunters/loggers and give them actual stuff, or somehow deal with this military problem.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 04:06:41 am »

it probably will be adressed at some point
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.