Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS halp  (Read 1626 times)

whatever1works

• Bay Watcher
  • *Flips table*
    • View Profile
FPS halp
« on: October 07, 2013, 02:01:18 am »

When i see the fps checking thing (from LNP) it has two numbers, a number and another number in brackets but it seems to stay around 7- 10. If i pause the game the bar shoots up again to like 100... so what does that mean?

My other forts run pretty well. My current fort has ~240 dwarfs, 300+ animals and A LOT of clothes lying around. I've been making heaps of metal armour to cloth them (I'll put them in sqauds)

Anyway, is there anyway to help raise the fps becuase its dammm slow. I don't know how to butcher all my animals so they keep multiplying, ive got around 60 children... how do get rid of them? AND the human merchants seem to be stuck in my trade depot although that doesn't seem to have stopped the dwarven caravans from entering (I've got full entry/exit path too). Another big problem though is i kinda underestimated how productive farms can be... so ive got A HUGE OVER FLOW of everything. I don't want to just atom smash it though becuase thats just wasteful... how can i match my food/drink production to my population so its even

any help is GREATTTTT  8)
"Do you want some fish balls?", "No thanks I'll have a steak please"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS halp
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:37:51 am »

The second number is the graphical FPS I think.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 02:40:34 am »

The number on the left, without brackets, is the actual FPS. The lower this is, the slower the game mover.
The number on the right, with the brackets, is the visual FPS. If this is low, the game will stutter because the game is moving faster than it can display.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:43:49 am »

Atom-smash or drown ~140 dwarves and 60 children (not all at once), butcher 295 animals, make giant refuse stockpiles that cover all the living quarters, atom-smash the thousands of stones that you undoubtedly have lying around.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 04:49:12 am »

Have you turned temperature off yet? Turning it off has almost no effect on gameplay (unless you're using magma), yet doing so will probably double your fps.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 04:55:40 am »

You can shove all those animals into cages to cut down on their FPS drain (and their breeding) if you dont want to kill them off or want to kill them off in a controlled pace so you can proccess teh food.  As to the overabundance of food stores and farms.  Either set some of the farms to falow so they stop planting or cook the food into meals and send them out with the next caravan, lavish meals can get quite valuable and you could always offer them as gifts so the next caravan brings more stuff(and maybe something you need)   Likewise any items you've made and no longer need should either be shiped out with the caravan or just atomsmash/refuse pile them.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 05:44:05 am »

when you pause the game, the only things changing are the commands you give, so little calculation or anything is going. No surprise then that the screen refreshment rate (frames per second) goes right up
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

whatever1works

• Bay Watcher
  • *Flips table*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 08:31:23 am »

Ohhh ok thx guys. The problematic animals are grazers, if i put them in cages does that cause problems with starvation? Also about turning off temperature, my map is in winter (which i've been looking forward to), so won't that make my river unfreeze? Although maybe i have no choice... Yeah i'm going to leave my farms on fallow for a while, and maybe reduce their size too.  :P

Now about those children... how can i well.. obliterate disperse them? Can i just burrow them in the atom smasher (I have a service door for it) or am i asking for a tantrum spiral? Maybe i can go: 2 children *smash* --> wait a minute --> repeat till their all gone

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 11:22:58 am »

to avoid bad thoughts, they need to be smashed one at a time and slabs made as soon as they go missing

Yes, grazing animals in cages will starve to death. The only reason to prefer grazers over non grazers is because some grazers produce milk and/or wool. I think sheep and alpace both produce milk and wool and are therefor the only grazers worth keeping. Yes, Llamas give both too, but they require a lot more grazing. Just for meat and guarding, non grazers are better in general. The only other grazers I like otherwise are elephants and rhinos, but those can't eat fast enough and starve anyway.

Turning temperature off in the middle of winter will keep everything frozen, iirc. Dumping stuff in magma doesn't work anymore either when temperature is off. It prevents new changes in temperature, so ice won't melt, stuff won't burn up. It might get on fire (not sure) but it won't produce heat

You better get over your attitude on wasteful, however, what you can do is cook the farm overflow into meals and smash the low-quality meals. Your dorfs will thank you
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

whatever1works

• Bay Watcher
  • *Flips table*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 08:51:34 pm »

I'm going to give these a try. Thanks