Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Migrants, I love you  (Read 4312 times)

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants, I love you
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 08:34:15 am »

Unless I'm mistaken, kilns, smelters and forges need to be built from fire-safe materials, hence the rock.  I agree with you that since you get 4 bars from the ore, you can forge a proper axe as well, using one wood for fuel rather than for a training axe.
You're not mistaken. That's why you build a wood furnace with the ore. Then you use one of the wood to create ash which you can then use to build a smelter/furnace/forge with. That leaves you with 2 charcoal, one of which is then used to smelt the ore (which you recovered when you deconstructed the wood furnace) so you now have 4 metal bars plus one charcoal. Since you can't replace that charcoal with a pick, you make an axe instead, cut down some trees, do the deconstruct/construct tango to shift that ash bar back and forth as you build another wood furnace to get more charcoal and a forge to use the charcoal. Finally, make your pick and go forth and mine 'til you're mountainhome.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants, I love you
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 11:16:08 am »

Unless I'm mistaken, kilns, smelters and forges need to be built from fire-safe materials, hence the rock.  I agree with you that since you get 4 bars from the ore, you can forge a proper axe as well, using one wood for fuel rather than for a training axe.
Ash is fire safe.

Oops, sorry, missed that part. Smart move to make the wood furnace out of ore, essentially substituting a wood for the stone. This does require trees on embark, since you need 4 wood (ash->building material, coal->smelt, coal->forge pick and either wood->training axe or coal->forge axe). So it is anvil and any of {pick, ore+stone, ore+trees}
Pages: 1 [2]