Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on an unclear note for Aussieguy's Dwarven Checkerboard (and another q)  (Read 1100 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I didn't want to necro the origional thread, so I'm making my own. The other notes and instructions I get, but in this note he says replace before digging, replace what exactly before digging? I assume 'the one breached by the demons' is the tunnel to hell?

Also, not really sure about how to make sure the so called piece fetcher escape alive while properly fetching the demons.

Looking around on DFMA for any videos of the dwarven checkerboard, also tried to search for forts on there, no hits for the checkerboard stuff.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anybody?

Not really sure how to keep the piece fetcher alive.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Also, not really sure about how to make sure the so called piece fetcher escape alive while properly fetching the demons.

Not sure about anything else, but as for this: You don't. Turn off mining for everyone but your most annoying noble (or some such), wall them in, ignore the screams, and a week later engrave a slab.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not sure about anything else, but as for this: You don't. Turn off mining for everyone but your most annoying noble (or some such), wall them in, ignore the screams, and a week later engrave a slab.

I was wondering what aussieguy meant by getting the bait back alive and I did look at the save and didn't really see a way to do it without letting the demons into the fort itself (or maybe into the caverns).

I also don't really get what that note that I screenshotted is all about.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

I was wondering what aussieguy meant by getting the bait back alive and I did look at the save and didn't really see a way to do it without letting the demons into the fort itself (or maybe into the caverns).

I also don't really get what that note that I screenshotted is all about.

No idea either on the note.

For the bait, TAG has this to say:

Quote from: ThatAussieGuy, bolding and recoloring mine
A quick dig down into the cotton candy spire will yield an amalgam of pieces for our game in a wide variety of colours.  However the bold dwarf sent in must be sealed in so they go straight to the board.  If you use a locked hatch, they get bored waiting while you make sure the piece-fetcher escapes and wander back to the box, upset that they can't play.

The clowns need a pre-game snack, after all!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Somehow it sounded like he had a way to get the bait back alive.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Most likely if you wanted to get the dwarf back alive you'd need to exploit the fact that floor hatches are invulnerable from building destroyers below them if there is no other path to the top of it.   Set a floor hatch in an up/down stair.  send the miner further down the stair to mine out the last block.  As soon as he dashes back up the stairs(or he dies and a clown goes for it) forbid the hatch and the clowns shouldnt be able to get through it.  If you want to be extra sure to get your miner back use the technique for safely breaching a lava tube by useing a ramp below a bridge to mine upwards diagonaly.  The clowns will probably dismantle the bridge in short order but that should take them long enough for your miner to get back up the staircase and you to seal it off.