Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: how large should my military be?  (Read 6855 times)

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how large should my military be?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 11:46:02 pm »

I have 80 dwarves in my military, all of them legendary in their chosen weapons from always sparring. Haven't had a casualty in years and the fact they mostly wear iron is no trouble at all.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 08:14:56 pm »

all citizens are military.  have them all carry a weapon, even if you don't have them constantly training.  that way, no one will be ambushed alone and die after throwing one punch

leather is light and doesn't impede them, and then a sword or spear will do wonders
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 12:20:12 pm »

1) The % is irrelevant since your population fluctuates so much early on and by the time you reach a decent pop cap of 150+, you should be able to shut yourself off and equip your entire fort with basic armor + crossbow + bolts within a year anyways. What matters is the amount of dwarves per target. For your typical goblin squad, you want 2 dwarves per goblin and 3 dwarves per troll. For elves, you'd want 4-5 dwarves per mounted elf depending on how deadly their mounts are and for humans you'd want upwards to 6-7 dwarf per human to deal with mounted archers/crossbowmen without losing half your military. For megabeasts and FBs, 10 on 1 is a decent starting number, but your best bet is to use a squad of speardwarves with a massive amount of war animals so the targets are too busy breaking grips and holds to fight back. If you want to be on the safe side, give your useless civilians crossbows and bolts (but no armor) and have them assist your real militia in combat; 20-30 unskilled marksdwarves make a huge impact during sieges and it helps prune out the useless migrants.

2) Sparring or teaching. Teaching takes a long time to get going and sparring is random since some pairs will refuse to spar. Either way, the best way to learn is have your dwarves wear good armor and have them fight invaders or prisoners.

3) Pre-masterwork steel, 2-3 dwarves per siege would be a fair number. Post-masterwork steel, 1 dwarf every few years.

4) PITA, the way I do things baby deaths only happen every 150 years of combined fortress life at best.

5) Worth it to make iron/bronze or even copper armor ASAP. Gives your early militia a much needed amount of armor experience and those early armor levels make a world of difference in combat. If you're tight on materials, use wooden shields to help out early on. If you're outfitting dwarves with copper armor and actually HAVE to make them fight invaders, make sure to have lots and lots of coffins ready: you'll need them.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 01:10:03 pm »

The way I usually do is aim for 10 military dwarfs by the end of year 2; 5 axedwarfs and 5 marksdwarfs.
It helps to keep your wealth low on purpose to delay sieges. Make sure you can fully armor your axedwarfs and train them above all else. The Marksdwarfs are a secondary concern; building them an archery range, live-training them and then making them a position from which they can cripple the enemy is very effective but only if you already have a good melee squad.

Later on you should aim for 3 melee squads (after they've been adequately trained try to mix hammerdwarfs and axedwarfs; wrestlers can be ridiculously OP but I personally find them a bit of a risk) and two marksdwarf squads.
A big mistake is trying to focus on making a few superdwarfs; until you hit legendary, you will lose men. Having a larger amount of soldiers stops your military from being crippled after that ambush you weren't adequately prepared for.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 05:50:40 pm »

1) Population % isn't much of a problem; it should be more like a dozen or so dedicated melee dwarves in most vanilla situations.
2) Like most people have said, three-dwarf squads on constant training schedules will show good increases after a year or two. Try embarking with a pair of trained dwarves in whatever skill you like most (spears, hammers and axes are the mainstay weapons, although you can go crazy with other types if you want), and be sure to keep every dwarf in the squad armed with the same weapon.
3) You'll loose dwarves, no matter what. If you prepare and train, though, your fatality rate should be manageable to the point that new recruits can be trained before the next attack.
4) No. Female dwarves with babies will loose them, yes, but they'll loose them to attacking creatures that aren't trying to kill them; baby shields are effective purely because they absorb attacks. Happiness shouldn't be an issue as long as you memoralize the dead children and keep the mother in a good environment.
5) Steel is actually overkill against most vanilla enemies, and (bear with me here!) full steel armor even more so. Armor will slow your dwarves down immensely, so each of them should have minimal armor (I go with a breastplate and helm). Having good shield and weapon skills will save them much more reliably than armor.

One important thing is to ensure that you set up your defensive positions properly. Your entrance should contain a defensive chamber, as well as positions that marksdwarves can fire from. You should have animals pastured outside to warn you about ambushes, and the most important feature; a way to seal it off, which should probably be a raising drawbridge. The final step is to have large squads of marksdwarves, who can and usually should be untrained rabble drawn from your workforce. When you are attacked, deploy your melee squads to this chamber and get your ranged squads into position. As the enemy files into the chamber, seal off a decent number inside; a dozen well-trained dwarves can easily handle three times their number of goblins, especially with support from your marksdwarves. While an individual marksdwarf will do little, twenty of them will cripple the enemy forces with painful body shots, leaving many of them passed out or otherwise incapacitated and easy pickings for your melee soldiers. After that, let some more enemies in and repeat until they're all dead. This prevents the enemy from swarming your dwarves, which is the best way for them to kill you. You will never have enough military dwarves to outnumber a siege unless you're playing a large and long-lasting fortress, and even larger ambush waves can overwhelm them. The key is to segment their forces and deal with them in a more controlled manner; without the press of numbers they can bring to bear, a goblin is little threat against a dwarven soldier.
Ways to augment their survival include weapon traps (serrated disks) applied liberally to your entrance and guard animals; dogs in particular are good, for the same reason baby shields are. Every enemy that starts killing a guard animal is one that isn't killing an actual dwarf.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:53:17 pm by Crazy Cow »

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 11:19:40 am »

Any tried using a candy scourge in testing before? The contact area is rather smaller and it's penetration pathetic. It is, however, edged and should benefit from being made of candy.
I had a candy artifact scourge, sucked balls, would not recommend.
Pages: 1 2 [3]