Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very basic question about mineral frequency  (Read 1861 times)

DigitalAdhesive

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Very basic question about mineral frequency
« on: October 02, 2013, 04:34:39 pm »

I'm a very new player to the series, and I had a question about world generation and mineral settings. I've seen some tutorials say that you should set minerals to be everywhere, so you don't have to look far to find metals, and I've seen other people say that you should set them to appear less frequently so you're not drowning in relatively useless metals.

What settings do you recommend for a brand new player?

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Very basic question about mineral frequency
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 06:46:31 pm »

Honestly I'd say more frequent is better if you want an easy run.  There's really no downside to having useless metal around other than perhaps a marginal FPS hit from enough loose items the game must track.  Might boost your fortress welth a bit but then agian its negligable compaired to finished products if you leave them as chunks of ore.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 07:21:21 pm »

Don't use the highest setting, if there's ore everywhere you'll find almost no flux stone. Put it to frequent and you'll be fine.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 08:56:11 pm »

I usually drop Mineral scarcity down into the 500-1200 range.

The world I'm currently embarking on was generated at 500, & below is the "prospect hell" result from my newest site (immediately after Embark/Initial Save).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The world is the last one I posted in the World Gen cookbook thread, but the site is a different one (I decided I wanted fire clay, 'cos Phoebus makes Earthenware Brick Constructions brown, & Stoneware Brick White [or a VERY light grey]), & yes, it does look like I'm going to have to import Flux if I can find all the Iron ore.

Edit: Oops, should probably note, I use Advanced World Gen settings, for the fine control over my worlds.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:58:13 pm by JAFANZ »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 10:08:39 pm »

Don't use the highest setting, if there's ore everywhere you'll find almost no flux stone.
That's not strictly true - the flux stone is still there, but the site finder fails to locate it due to a bug with the logic it uses for identifying it (put simply, it fails to identify flux layers if they contain any veins or clusters of other minerals).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 10:51:46 pm »

Marble is pretty much always present, so you're likely to get flux on the embark even if it's deep.