Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead Not Raising In Evil Biome?  (Read 1025 times)

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dead Not Raising In Evil Biome?
« on: November 14, 2013, 03:45:54 pm »

I'm settled in a haunted land, and something quite strange happened. A yak, one of my cart pullers, was torn apart by the alligators on the surface, but it did not reanimate. It is now completely rotted away, all bone, on flesh, and still, it just sits there. The same happened with the two snakes my hunters (they came with hunting enabled) killed. They just sit there, not moving.  Are there only certain evil regions in which the dead reanimate, or is this a bug?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Not Raising In Evil Biome?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:49:59 pm »

It's a regional effect, not every biome will have it. Have you seen any zombified creatures wander into your map? It's usually a good indicator as to whether the region reanimates or not on embark.

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:13:00 pm »

No, just regular creatures.  How will I know which regions have it, and which don't?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 04:18:46 pm »

Luck, more or less. There aren't any ways that I know of that will let you know what you're in for from the embark screen.

Try embarking in different areas then quitting the game, or making an adventurer and exploring the areas you were thinking of embarking in.

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 04:21:00 pm »

I heard that "Terrifying" biomes always reanimate. Although, it's curious that I don't actually get any undead, considering I'm settled on the edge of one.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 04:47:55 pm »

All this talk of zombies, can't you just let the poor animals stay dead?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 05:08:51 pm »

I heard that "Terrifying" biomes always reanimate. Although, it's curious that I don't actually get any undead, considering I'm settled on the edge of one.

If you're in a multiple-biome embark, and only part of it is terrifying, reanimation will only happen to corpses etc. that actually lie in the terrifying region.  You can set your refuse/corpse pile literally one tile away from the terrifying part, without worrying about (non-necromancer) re-raising.

Basically, if your hunter kills a bull moose on a Savage Wilds tile, it's gonna stay dead.  If, however, it limps to a terrifying tile before bleeding out, you'll be sure to see it again!

AFAIK, this also goes for evil rains and clouds: they magically stop/dissipate at the edge of the non-evil part of the map.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 05:28:04 pm »

Multi-biome embarks can be interesting. I've had embarks that have had so few evil tiles that the evil clouds would only appear for only a few seconds because they had nowhere to go.

And evil rain, if left uncleaned for long enough, can form a perfect outline of its biome. Some clouds can leave trails too, though I've only seen it happen once.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 03:22:05 am »

I can confirm the opposite. Embarked in a terrifying biome about seven years ago and haven't had one reanimation yet from any source. I was expecting to need to annihilate every corpse asap, so one of the first things I built was a DAS, but it's been useful only for keeping my FPS high.

There are noxious clouds that cause anything caught in them to bleed out instantly, but I have about a hundred skeletons outside the fortress walls that haven't reanimated after dying to the clouds.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 03:52:27 am »

Unfortunately, the only information I have on evil weather is from exploring them as an adventurer or in one of my short lived evil forts.

I've never seen an evil biome that had more than one effect. If there was odd rain, the dead stayed dead and there wouldn't be any clouds. If there were clouds, the only zombies were husks, and rain was always made of water. If there were zombies, I die almost instantly. This makes my attempts to recreate Silent Hill difficult. [/JOKE]

Not that there's anything stopping a regional interaction from causing more than one effect. In fact, the example interaction within the raws tells us how to make a regional interaction with all three effects, so I can imagine that some of the randomly generated interactions have a chance of doing the same.

But I have noticed that in the undead embarks, most of the plant-life was also dead. Dead trees and dead shrubbery may be an indicator of a dead biome. Or it may just be my luck.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 11:22:53 am »

Reanimations are created with Number of Regional interaction types parameter in world gen.
Not sure that you could get the actual interaction type from anywhere in xml dump/map dump, but you could turn Interaction types (set it to 0 with worldgen) to have no dead raising in any evil biome.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.