Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lack of polar bears  (Read 1698 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lack of polar bears
« on: September 29, 2013, 04:24:35 pm »

Everytime I embark on a glacier, I get a lot of yetis but not a single polar bear. I want those polar bears so much but they just never appear. Are they bugged or something? I even tried removing every other glacial creature from the game, giving polar bears  frequency:100 or changing some of their tags to make them more like those stupid yetis but i still don't get them, at all, please help.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:15:28 am by ancistrus »

ZNAG1066

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I still need a bear
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 04:48:57 pm »

The wiki says that bears hunt along the shores of tundras and glaciers. If your fortress is inland, that might be why there are no bears.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 11:15:46 pm »

The wiki says that bears hunt along the shores of tundras and glaciers. If your fortress is inland, that might be why there are no bears.

i don't think a shore is needed, they just have really low populations. one way you could do it is to find a named, living polar bear in legends (probably want to use the Legends Viewer utility) and settle on top of its lair.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 01:15:42 am »

modifying population to obscene numbers didnt help at all

Seriously, somebody help me, I have had this problem for years, literally

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 02:07:56 am »

The things that govern occurence of an animal should be frequency and population. It might be that you're applying the modifications wrong somehow; i think they must be changed in the main /raw directory before a world is created (seems that all creature populations are generated along with the world). And i've only seen them appear when INVADERS were turned on, although that may have been pure coincidence.

If you have trading contact with an elven civilisation that has tundra biomes in its area, they can bring you tamed polar bears for trade. That was the only case i ever got to breed polar bears; those visiting my sites insisted on dodging the cages and wandering into weapon traps.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 03:11:58 am »

The things that govern occurence of an animal should be frequency and population.
I have [FREQUENCY:100] [POPULATION:100:120]
It might be that you're applying the modifications wrong somehow; i think they must be changed in the main /raw directory before a world is created (seems that all creature populations are generated along with the world).
Yeah I do that.
If you have trading contact with an elven civilisation that has tundra biomes in its area, they can bring you tamed polar bears for trade.
Possible, or I could make them common_domestic, but at this point I am quite angry at the game and I really want to figure out what is wrong with those stupid bears

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of polar bears
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:25:24 am »

Have you tried killing or capturing everything that isn't a bear?

To do this moderately safely you can make a + shaped wall with the centre of the cross left as open ground. Then you scatter cage traps all around the centre of the cross, and the arms of the cross will funnel creatures in. To reset the traps, you can build a collection of raising bridges that will cut off access between the traps and the rest of the outside. Then you can acces the traps from beneath without worrying about goblins and such walking up to your civilians and attacking them.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 12:17:25 pm »

Have you tried killing or capturing everything that isn't a bear?

There are two creatures that can appear on glacier- polar bear and yeti. I gave yetis NO_SPRING so I can embark and instantly know that, once again, I have no bears.
I know they don't die out during worldgen because I can see polar bears in legends mode, spread out all the way from year 1 to the end of worldgen.

I gave them biome:mountains because yetis have it.
I increased their frequency to 100.
I tried giving them maxage of a yeti.
I tried removing yetis.
I increased their population to huge numbers.
I tried insulation 0/100/200/300/400/500.
I tried removing the large_predator tag, because I suspected that underground creatures with the same tag might prevent them from appearing.
I tried moving their whole entry into creature_standard (where the stupid yetis are).
To check if they would appear later after embark, I removed yetis, set the maximum framerate to 5000 and let the game run for a year. During this year, no animals appeared.
I tried combinations of the above things.
I generated a new world each time i tried some of those things.

It shouldn't be this hard, why is it so hard.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 02:40:24 pm »

That does sound odd.

Try giving yetis the display tile, body plan, name, and breeding tags of a polar bear. Without any other changes, that'll give you a creature that has the same in-game ID as a yeti, but appears on-screen as a polar bear and is shaped like a polar bear, called a polar bear, and breeds like a polar bear.

If the bear-yetis turn up, you can either leave them as they are or replace the remaining yeti tokens until the creature stops turning up.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 04:15:58 pm »

When you remove yetis, do no creature show up at all?

Have you tried simply replacing the population and biome/season tags from yetis into polar bears, with no other changes? (Sounds like yes, but just wanted to be sure this specific alteration was done.) When making a mod ages ago, I discovered it was quite easy to give biome tags that somehow conflicted, but I don't remember the details.

If so, sounds like there's a bug elsewhere in the polar bear raws. Can anyone else confirm that they've seen polar bears in the current version?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 04:33:28 pm »

When you remove yetis, do no creature show up at all?

Have you tried simply replacing the population and biome/season tags from yetis into polar bears, with no other changes? (Sounds like yes, but just wanted to be sure this specific alteration was done.) When making a mod ages ago, I discovered it was quite easy to give biome tags that somehow conflicted, but I don't remember the details.

If so, sounds like there's a bug elsewhere in the polar bear raws. Can anyone else confirm that they've seen polar bears in the current version?

I've had trained war-polar bears in two separate glacier forts, but they seem to be fairly rare. Getting a breeding pair is even rarer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Probably because of
Code: [Select]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:2:3]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:1]
[FREQUENCY:2]

The only thing I can ask is if you have been re-genning worlds after tinkering with their population and frequency, because I don't think you can alter the pre-existing population or frequency of a creature in a save.

But it seems you already tried that.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 12:31:16 am »

I don't know the exact problem that's causing you these symptoms, but I can confirm from recalling my own polar bear breeding programme that polar bears are indeed rare and several years of sitting on the glacier does seem to me a right time for one of them to show up. Probably the first thing i would try changing if I were you would be their cluster size.