Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Memorials and Coffins in your meeting hall?  (Read 901 times)

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Memorials and Coffins in your meeting hall?
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:39:33 pm »

I've seen some fortresses where people ring their legendary meeting room with memorial slabs.  I assume then they're defining a memorial room overlapping with the meeting hall.  Is this common? Advised?

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Memorials and Coffins in your meeting hall?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 11:33:56 pm »

Creating a room from the memorial slab is not necessary to make it function.  People are just using them to make the room more valuable, create happy thoughts from dwarves seeing high quality slabs, or for thematic reasons (for the atmosphere).  As for recommending it, that depends.  If the memorial is destroyed or even just deconstructed say by a rampaging dwarf or a loose troll you could have a ghostageddon on your hands.  If that risk is acceptable to you then go for it.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Memorials and Coffins in your meeting hall?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 03:07:26 am »

I scatter memorials in multipul small rooms accross the fortress, with each location beeing a meeting hall enabled room.  Not so much to limit the chance of ghost poping up due to fun but more to spread out any idelers so they are not constantly makeing friends.