Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Opulence or functionality?  (Read 4303 times)

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Opulence or functionality?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 06:04:32 am »

Heck yes, pave all the walkways in your fortress with gold. Line the halls with golden statues. Build a dining room with purely gold furniture. Build a golden mosaic using steel (just as valuable as gold) and gold to make a glorious picture.

Or, you know, you could sell gold bars to the caravans.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 06:01:24 pm »

Functional metals are good for armor and weapons. Decorative things are good for filling up storage.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 08:16:10 pm »

Crafts. Furniture for high nobility. Fortress bling. That's about it, really.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 11:11:23 am »

Well, gold is quite useful for making minecarts to bludgeon forgotten beasts and other unwelcome guests. Put 'em in a nice impulse ramp loop and watch 'em beat to death the unfortunates who try to tangle with 'em. But other than that? Just simple furniture (chests, tables, chairs, cabinets, etc). Better to use gold for that stuff than to use sometime useful like iron which is better used in weapons and armor (after being converted to steel of course).

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 12:53:25 pm »

Last time I had a rich fort, I decorated all my mastwork weapons. Masterwork steel swords decorated with bands of gold are the favored weaposn for being named.

Also statues, floors, and a new batch of  coins every eyar or so. The coins were made entirely for their descriptive value, as each year they come out with a new design I believe. Collectables!
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 02:16:17 pm »

finding a balance between form and function is nice. I did have to ruin my amazing furnace/smelter/forge layout to get my magma river flowing around it and that was sad, but IMO it still looks nice this way. added bonus when dwarves fall in the magma.
I don't bite.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 02:20:35 pm »

Last time I had a rich fort, I decorated all my mastwork weapons. Masterwork steel swords decorated with bands of gold are the favored weaposn for being named.

Also statues, floors, and a new batch of  coins every eyar or so. The coins were made entirely for their descriptive value, as each year they come out with a new design I believe. Collectables!

Do decorated weapons have a higher chance of getting a name? I'm all for decorating my weaponry but this would be a really nice bonus if decorations made for faster titles.

You can also make non-weapon metal furniture to keep your dwarfs happy. I'm not just talking about buttkissing a noble...I mean tossing a Brass coffer or a gold Cabinet to your more important dwarves. I'd say at least do that for your military dwarves as them throwing tantrums is MUCH more deadly than some cheesemaker getting pissy.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 12:17:35 pm »

1. Build a golden fortress.

2. Make it die.

3. Mod kobold playable, create an adventurer whipbold.

4. Search for the greatest treasure of the all koboldkind!

And no, as far as I know, decoration doesen't affect weapon names. Only kill count.

If I happen to sit on great mineral veins, I'll basically forget functionality and proceed to build roads from gold and giant cave-in machines encrusted with gold. And golden chains and golden wells and golden watchtowers and golden minecart guns.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 12:41:06 pm »

Do decorated weapons have a higher chance of getting a name? I'm all for decorating my weaponry but this would be a really nice bonus if decorations made for faster titles.

You can also make non-weapon metal furniture to keep your dwarfs happy. I'm not just talking about buttkissing a noble...I mean tossing a Brass coffer or a gold Cabinet to your more important dwarves. I'd say at least do that for your military dwarves as them throwing tantrums is MUCH more deadly than some cheesemaker getting pissy.

No, but I like the idea of a masterwork steel sword called "siegeaptitude the Rage of Cats' or something, decorated with a golden hilt and rings of brass hanging on the guard. That's just badass. A mediocre sword of the same name is less amazing.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 05:53:59 pm »

Heck yes, pave all the walkways in your fortress with gold. Line the halls with golden statues. Build a dining room with purely gold furniture. Build a golden mosaic using steel (just as valuable as gold) and gold to make a glorious picture.

After a few years I end up with all of the materials I need from giving the caravans all my tattered thongs and clay crafts studded with gold/gold crafts studded with more gold that I end up with all these excess resources lying around. What else am I supposed to do with my 50 bins filled with gold bars when I don't need to import anything?

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 02:39:35 am »

After a few years I end up with all of the materials I need from giving the caravans all my tattered thongs and clay crafts studded with gold/gold crafts studded with more gold that I end up with all these excess resources lying around. What else am I supposed to do with my 50 bins filled with gold bars when I don't need to import anything?

The solution, dear Jackboot, is elementary. As in elemental. Gold. Give them Gold. Show them that you have so much wealth spilling out of every dwarven hole in your fortress that you can afford to give them gold. Yes, indeed, be elemental in your gifts.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 05:31:33 am »

You could try to build a giant sign that says 'BLING' out of solid gold that rises high above the map and straddles your entrance road.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 12:20:57 pm »

You could try to build a giant sign that says 'BLING' out of solid gold that rises high above the map and straddles your entrance road.

why not just go full el dorado and re-do your entire fortress in gold? bonus points if your room designs spell out things like
"GET MONEY"
"GET RICH OR DIE TRYING"
"MAD BANK"
"HOLLA HOLLA"
etc.
I don't bite.
Pages: 1 [2]