Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throwing and Misc. Object User  (Read 703 times)

Ilue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Throwing and Misc. Object User
« on: October 18, 2013, 07:57:28 pm »

So, I've just run into a random bronze colossus while going to some castle to speak with some lady. Naturally I can't just let an evil beast like this survive to terrorize the countryside. I mean, it has no kills at all, but it's pretty scary still. So, I poke it really hard with my iron pickaxe. Nope, nothing, not a scratch. Well, it is a bronze colossus after all, I wasn't really expecting much. So I put that away, and take out a big heavy human corpse I'd saved for just such an occasion. But, alas, that didn't do anything either. Many items later, I have hit or thrown everything I own at the colossus, doing no damage at all. Except a tiny little raven corpse that I threw, that fractured it. So I pick that back up, and throw it again. More fractures. And again, and again, and it keeps working. Smacking the colossus with the raven corpse fractures it too. But nothing else hurts it. I always thought that Misc. Object and Throwing damage only took the weight and attack types of the object into account, but that must be wrong since this raven corpse is apparently my best weapon (It only weighs 2 DF-weight-unit-things, btw). So, anyone know what gives?

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing and Misc. Object User
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:25:56 pm »

As far as I know technically with misc. and throwing it DOES only take into account the weight of an object and whether it has an edge or not. Your iron pick axe should definitely be effective against him, though.
That said I have had a surprising number of kills by throwing raven corpses. Like, seriously, I think I've probably killed hundreds of people across numerous adventurers with raven corpses. They seem to be surprisingly effective.

Ilue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:58:28 pm »

As far as I know technically with misc. and throwing it DOES only take into account the weight of an object and whether it has an edge or not. Your iron pick axe should definitely be effective against him, though.
That said I have had a surprising number of kills by throwing raven corpses. Like, seriously, I think I've probably killed hundreds of people across numerous adventurers with raven corpses. They seem to be surprisingly effective.
I am only an adept miner, maybe that's it. Throwing the pickaxe doesn't seem to work either, though. Good thing I've got 1945 speed or I'd be long dead.
Seriously, I'm taking a raven corpse everywhere with me now, though.
"Quoth the raven, DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE!"

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 01:59:56 am »

Maybe its just bird corpses in general, when they die while flying after fighting me they sometimes fall out of the air.

This happened only a few times, the combat log looks like "corpse of some bird strikes you blah blah". At least a fracture of the bone every time.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 02:27:56 am »

The raven corpse has a tiny contact area, so the damage is focused.