Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military equipment & morale  (Read 1159 times)

Tonren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military equipment & morale
« on: September 27, 2013, 12:21:50 pm »

• If I want my squads to store their equipment in their barracks, what should I do? Right now I designated a bed into a barracks. Inside that barracks are a chest, an armor stand, and a weapon rack, but they're not using them.
  • What is the difference between the "Individual Equipment" and "Squad Equipment" orders in the barracks menu?
  • If I see a green checkmark next to a piece of equipment in the Military -> Equipment screen, but the dwarf is not actually wearing it, and the "Replace clothing" option is chosen, how do I get the dwarf to actually equip it?
  • Is there ever a reason to go with "Over clothing" instead of "Replace clothing"?
  • Does anyone actually know what the deal is with schedule rotation and morale? Sometimes it seems like you're supposed to just schedule "Train, 10 minimum" all of the time so they're always on-duty because it's the act of swapping that pisses them off. But other sources seem to say that the rotation is important.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:23:22 pm by Tonren »

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military equipment & morale
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 12:27:03 pm »

Swaping only pisses them off if they have no civilian or military skills (get pissed swaping to one without skills)  Part of the reason for haveing fewer than 10 minimum is so some can rotate off to go eat/drink when needed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 12:39:56 pm »

1. I don't think my military has ever stored stuff in the barracks.

2. Not sure myself.

3. The piece of equipment might be 'claimed' by a hauler moving around bins (that is, it's unavailable because the bin is in is being used), wait a bit and see if they'll go and pickup equipment.

4. Right now they tend to have problems putting on equipment over their clothes, especially socks and shoes/sandals. Plus i don't think they replace their rotten clothing anyway.

5. See merendels response.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 03:24:40 pm »

weapon racks and armor stands currently don't function as intended iirc
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 03:13:55 am »

I just draft all my people into the military and set their uniform to leather armor, leggings and high boots. Make sure you have enough for everyone. Make their uniform replace their clothes. They should now have all their nudity parts covered. Give everyone wooden crossbows with whatever bolts you choose. It takes a while to set up, but it's worth it to have civilians who will shoot enemies while they're running.

Also, alternating training schedules can work if you make a full-time "basic training" squad. New draftees can train until they take a title as wrestler or somesuch and then added to a seasonal guard/training rotation. This means you can have your soldiers train seasonally without complaining when they're drafted or dismissed.

DFHack has patches that make barracks/racks/armor stands work properly.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:17:00 am by Hague »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 04:12:27 am »

Dwarves will store their equipment, but because it's not considered a valid container a hauler will be along shortly to put the equipment back in its proper place.

It's much easier to make enough for all your soldiers, so they can wear their uniforms all the time.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.