Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: epic fail  (Read 1363 times)

black_ops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
epic fail
« on: September 27, 2013, 08:51:18 am »

Can't post pics but my fort was going good on 1 year. I just reached lava then here comes a fucking cave crocodile " Brashdrab the chance of Elevating ". killed my whole fort. 16 dwarfs dead and all my animals. This ever happen to you? I didn't see this coming.

Photas

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature, fond of !!fun!! and Magma
    • View Profile
Re: epic fail
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:28:31 am »

I think this has happened to all of us. The cave crocodile is a very common scource of !!FUN!! This what the game is all about, learn from your mistakes. Next time, seal off the caverns.
Photas cancels work. Distracted by Dwarf Fortress.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 09:34:41 am »

Reclaim the site using well-armed dwarves! If they all die to it, keep trying until that croc becomes the most epic critter ever. Think of the awesome engravings that fort will have!

black_ops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 09:50:56 am »

Tried to reclaim my fortress from this epic crazy croc but when i got there he was gone. I guess he sleeping in the caves after eating all my dwarfs. How can I find my fort in adventure mode?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:55:21 am »

I don't think I've ever had named animals (aside from war mounts and pets) visit the fort.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 10:11:20 am »

They become named once they kill one historical figure (which is all your dwarfs). I usually throw one line of cage traps at openings to caves for this reason. Anything that comes in groups and passes one row of cages is usually small grunts my militia can kill off.

Reptillian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 10:30:05 am »

i was visited by a giant wolverine before i even managed to dig into a mountain. it enraged and killed everything in sight... which happened to be my dwarfs and their animals XD

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 10:56:35 am »

... then here comes a fucking (insert name here) ... killed my whole fort. (x) dwarfs dead and all my animals. This ever happen to you? I didn't see this coming.

"ten most common early fort deaths"
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 11:10:44 am »

... then here comes (a group of / a single fucking) (insert name here) ... killed my whole fort. (x) dwarfs dead and all my animals. This ever happen to you? I didn't see this coming.

"ten most common early fort deaths"

Added a slight revision for, say, giant badgers and other unholy hordes.

P.S. hey, you still have that sig :p
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 12:32:15 pm »

They become named once they kill one historical figure (which is all your dwarfs). I usually throw one line of cage traps at openings to caves for this reason. Anything that comes in groups and passes one row of cages is usually small grunts my militia can kill off.

I know, I just thought that black_ops said the cave croc entered the map already having a name.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 12:34:03 pm »

Giant rage-prone critters are immense fun, but i think for 'epic' i'd look at evil biomes. There have been reports of embarks that crumbled within the first day or so, from deadly rain or transformation dust. I never had it that bad, although i suffered a settlement wipeout by husked giant hamster.

Not to forget the scuttled embark party.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 12:52:28 pm »

Giant rage-prone critters are immense fun, but i think for 'epic' i'd look at evil biomes. There have been reports of embarks that crumbled within the first day or so, from deadly rain or transformation dust. I never had it that bad, although i suffered a settlement wipeout by husked giant hamster.

Not to forget the scuttled embark party.
I've had one of those before.  A vile ooze rain started the instant I unpaused.  Was not an instant kill but it was a deathsentence as anybody infected by the stuff slowly got more and more damaged over their whole body (not sure if it was an acid like effect or caused them to rot from the inside out)  either way teh whole embark got dowsed on day 1 and even though I got underground right away everything finished dieing by day 5. well technicly the miner survived the rain because he actualy got underground fast enough and the rain missed him... but his reanimated friends ate him.

black_ops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 01:36:12 pm »

Well i started in the badlands this time and all my engravings are always about a desert scorpion named shellglory. I think my world is just filled with badass critters lol.