Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What are you going to do with your next fort?  (Read 4781 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: What are you going to do with your next fort?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2013, 06:51:34 pm »

In longer-lived forts, does it get hard to remember where everything's placed? At around 10 z-levels I have trouble locating workshops, and just a little beyond that makes the fort nearly incomprehensible. I kinda like the idea that some floors just become abandoned over time as the fort moves deeper into the earth, but I have no idea if that sort of thing actually happens.

I use hotkeys a LOT, so that helps me keep track of where things are.  I don't usually abandon the upper fort, personally, but I've done it on rare occassions.

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2013, 10:31:40 pm »

What I do with every fortress. Try to take over the world! Not die terribly because of the fire-breathing feathered crickets.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2013, 11:26:36 pm »

Ehh, refresher fort, and finally figure out mine-carts, which I've been putting off for a long time.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 04:36:10 pm »

It's important to note that you don't need to channel the stone directly to dig an area out. Dig out all the area while underground, remembering to dig ramps at the edges. You'll have to make sure there are no buildings or trees there or the floor above won't get removed. and channel around it, then attach a support to the bottom and trigger the whole thing for a cave-in. Make sure you get your dwarves out of the way with burrows. If the levels below are also dug out, the whole thing should continue down as far as you've dug it out. The best part is you can continue to do it as far as you want, since if you leave your first layer solid it will fall with it.

Build your fortress proper as a tower in the center of the map, making sure to continually channel a pit around its edge and around the edge of the map. (Nano-fortress would be the best for this, I suppose.) Build a support underneath the top dirt layers (to the lowest point). Now gradually dig out all stone in each layer, remembering to dig ramps at the buildable edge to remove the ceiling. When you're finished or want to just drop a layer for security reasons (or !!FUN!!) collapse the support with a lever. Collapsing the layer should bust through all the floors, dragging the dirt layer down and killing everything on the surface. The best way to start with this is to build your tower all the way to the magma sea but remembering to leave one solid layer to preserve the shape of the surface landscape. If you don't, the dirt layer will collapse into the magma.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 05:44:23 pm »

Thanks for bringing this up. It's good to have a plan, and in reading about others' I'm remembering the forts I've already done but nearly forgotten. Like:

The fort built above ground. All workshops were in buildings made of wood. Roads linked the town together. The meeting hall was made of stone, with a wooden peaked roof. The apartments were made of glass blocks, held 18 rooms per level, and each room had 2 or 3 clear glass windows. The fort held until the invaders mounted their flying monstrosities and had their way with the helpless townsfolk. I should have known not to forsake the earth.

The fort of the caverns. Once the caverns were breached, I tamed them. Every invading beast met my military until the edges were walled plum, save a kill trap. Homes were cut into the stalagmites, the cavern floor was my hallway.

The volcanic fort. The bare volcanic obsidian reached high out of the earth and I carved away what did not suit me. The fort consisted of the remains of the hill around the volcano, or structures I could build connected to its sides. I left the cap open to the sky and drained controlled pools into stone channels over which sat my forge and furnaces, high above the grassy plain with windowed walls. Until I made a mistake. Two miners dissolved, joining with the liquid stone like perverse terran revenge. The valley filled with lava over the next two years, until I realized the lifeblood of the fortress might drain faster than it could fill.

The frozen castle. The ocean, deep and solid as wet microcline, was hollowed and carved into rooms. The ice it yielded built a towering castle above the surface, it's walls holding traps that allowed us to harvest the wildlife. But with few places where trees would grow and the cruelty of learning that the caverns below lay barren of life, we could not make enough beds to keep people happy.

The mug of doom. The thick, rounded tower could only be entered from below. Once inside, the trained eagles harried invaders as they climbed the naked stairway 12 levels. If they made it this far they enjoyed the challenge of traversing the 6-layer spiral track and its carpet of traps to get to the path that lead to the entrance to the fort - a path that took them through the thick handle of this tall mug. Observant and unstoppable invaders would have noticed that the gore-covered weapons along the outer swing of the spiral were of goblin-make, and the glass disks and copper screws of the interior were relatively untouched. Most of this juggernaut's predecessors seemed to have been keen on dodging into the open space between the pathways... the fools. However, forgotten beasts do not enter the body by the mouth, and our bottom was bare and inviting.

The fort so safe dwarves actually grew old. On a level plain with a calm stream, the pink wall of fluff had 6 inviting entrances, and one broad, bloody and messy one. Those narrow entrances held cage traps and were guarded by boars and observant birds, and the broad entrance merely trapped with weapons. Not good weapons, just good enough to take out the unarmored foes and stun the skilled ones. Once the edge entrances were triggered their bridges raised, leaving only the broad entrance. Those who made it through found an interior filled with unspoiled wilderness and an imposing square tower of bone, with only one way in - a hatch leading down. It's tunnel held only a few cages, just enough to hold the beasts that broke in the door. Inside the invaders found a stair leading up to the next level, forcing them to run around the perimeter of the tower to get to the next stair up. 9 stories it went, covered in enough traps to force a few to fall onto spikes, and others to imbed themselves in the fort's lesser-qualitied weapons and giant axes. The caverns remained sealed off, where over a dozen forgotten beasts held council. The adamant roots of the mountain, harvested and refilled with stone. The king's chambers looked out of gemmed windows to the volcanic chamber below. Every surface smoothed and clean, every child safe and educated, every belly full to bursting on the finest roasts, every foot covered in opulent woolen socks and shoes of the finest leather. Every dwarf bored enough to just leave the gates open and doors unlocked, to see how well those steel-clad monsters of war might manage themselves if they ever had a chance to spill even a drop of blood.

Next? I don't know, I'll figure it out as I go.

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 10:38:59 am »

I'm going to experiment with a !FUN!Nel

Basically once my fort is decently established and walled off, mine a 3X3 staircase outside the fort until I breach a cavern layer, ensuring that the stairs reach all the way to the cavern floor. Then just leave it open, letting whatever spawns in the caverns to wander up to the surface.

Because they're on the outside, they would be a good way to test my defenses and give my military practice, and if something wanders up during a proper siege, even better.

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 02:21:25 pm »

Artifact platinum warhammer. OOOohh yeah.
Pages: 1 2 [3]