Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan Glitch  (Read 868 times)

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan Glitch
« on: September 22, 2013, 01:40:44 pm »

One year, the dwarven caravan didn't arrive, without a message telling me the cause. It has also failed to show up every year since then.

I've noticed something odd and seemingly related to this issue in the stocks screen only recently. It lists some items clearly belonging to dwarven traders, such as stacks of cave lobsters. Trying to zoom in on them leads me to unremarkable empty tiles near the edge of the map, usually 1 tile away.

Migrants stopped coming too, but at least there is a "no migrants this season" message every season.

How to fix this?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan Glitch
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 01:50:47 pm »

Are there any trees on the map border in this area? I've one fort where the humans completely stopped sending caravans and that was seemingly caused by the same or a similar event - i found merchant-owned items in my stocks listing and the location is an empty square on the map border. I cut down the nearby tree and two merchants on foot walked onto and off the map, but this didn't fix the caravans, it may be that there's still an invisible wagon blocked on the map edge that can't properly spawn/despawn.

AFAIK as long as a blocked merchant unit is saved on the map, the caravan is listed as 'hasn't successfully left the map', which blocks migration _and_ produces the 'attracted no migrants' message, regardless of population cap. You have to somehow dislodge them to get things going again. There may be some DFHack tricks, but i don't know a non-hacking way to fix stuck merchants if you can't get them to actually appear on the map in the first place.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 05:54:24 pm »

If chopping down trees in the area does not help he could try an "extirpate trees" command to nuke all trees on the map and see if that causes the wagons to spawn for a moment then leave.  Might want to save beforhand and savescum back after runing that test.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 06:22:05 pm »

Are you sure your civ not is dead? If so you will not get anything past the first year migrant waves and one caravan , which are hardcoded.

Get a new world, also next time check legends for alive civs.