Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training Troubles  (Read 771 times)

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training Troubles
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:00:00 pm »

Now I know lots of people have had training problems and there are a variety of solutions but I wasn't able to find much from a forum search so here is my question.

I have 2 dwarves that were happily training away.  Both reached accomplished and just stopped training.  Nothing has changed, no one has a baby, no one got married, nothing, but they just stopped training.  They mill about in the dining hall chatting away and training their various social skills (which are about to over-take their wresting skill sadly) and stand around in their bedrooms for long periods.  But they absolutely will not train anymore.  I even gave them shields and hammers thinking maybe having a new weapon or armour would change things, but nope.

So how should I get these guys training again, or should I just abanon the fort and start again?

PS
I visited a couple of my old forts in adventure mode (man I love the smaller map sizes, lets me actually find things!) and all my old forts are empty.  I managed to snag some nice armour and weapons, but there was nothing to fight.  How long does it take for monsters to move in?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training Troubles
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 11:06:00 pm »

Do they have nervous system wounds?

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:10:00 pm »

Nope, they're both totally happy and healthy.

UPDATE!!!

I just loaded up to double check and I forgot to scroll down.  One of them has a light grey neck, what does that mean and could that be the source?  They both running around find and when I activate them they seem to enjoy smashing bat-men with their hammers just fine.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Baro ]

Zirallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:13:00 am »

The neck wound is indeed the source. A dwarf with a brain, spine or neck injury will no longer spar. They'll still participate in combat but they won't spar ever again. I think most people either dispose of them or move them to ranged combat when those types of injuries occur.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 11:00:00 am »

I've always complained about not enough combat or sieges in DF, but my fort's gate is now pretty much constantly under attack by goblin ambushers (CURSE THEM!).  As my military was composed of only these 2 dwarves and a few stone fall traps, the goblins solved my training problem for me.  With only a shield and their fists, they managed to slay quite a few goblins before falling.

I would have raised the bridge but my idiot armour maker decided to run outside and then get chased away from the gate.  He eventually STARVED TO DEATH running away from goblins rather than just returning to the fort.