Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Occult Chronicles - Roguelike Boardlike Cardlike Gamelike Cthulhulike  (Read 1859 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

The Occult Chronicles is a Lovecraftian horror roguelike by Cryptic Comet, makers of other strange and confusing games like Solium Infernum and Armageddon Empires.  So you know it's gonna be really cool but also really confusing with lots of strange rules. 

Boy does it deliver on that front.  The game is a sort of hybrid board/card game with heavy roguelike elements.  When you first play it will make no sense at all.  I'll try to illuminate a bit.  You play an investigator who's sent into a mansion to complete some kind of task, of which there are several.  To win you have to explore the mansion, find clues, equipment, skills, etc. to increase your strength, and eventually delve into the depths of the mansion to confront the Supreme Horror.  If you're prepared, you'll defeat it and leave a hero.  But you're probably not prepared.

You make your character by choosing from a few stats corresponding to Tarot suits.  You've got swords for combat, cups for physical tasks, wands for mental tasks, and pentacles for magic.  You also have health and sanity.  these can go up and down mostly infinitely, you're not setting max values or anything.  If either goes to zero you lose.  It's generally best to specialize.  You can usually pick the types of challenges you undertake, so it's better to be great at one thing than mediocre at everything.  You also choose a background with various bonuses, a "bone" or die, which determines what kinds of special abilities you can use, and an "edge" which does various things.

As a quick suggestion before I try to illuminate the very confusing challenge system, I suggest starting off with a Wands character.  4 wands 1 pentacles, everything else in health, mentalist background, and a psychic talent of some sort.  Horror challenges are frequent and unavoidable.  A strong-minded character can resist them easily and they make a great source of easy advancement points.  Low-wands characters tend to lose a lot of sanity and miss out on those advancement points.  The health is because you'll have trouble in combat encounters.

There's a lot more to it than that, but I don't want to spoil too much about it.  It's a lot of fun just playing around and seeing how the rules interact.  It can be very frustrating too though.  The card element means it's very random, and sometimes you just can't seem to win a challenge you have no business losing.  As the link above describes, sometimes you'll go insane trying to unlock a door.

But losing is fun, right?

Anybody else play this?  What's your favorite strategy?  The game isn't free, but there's a demo that lets you play through 75 turns.  Give it a spin, it's cool.
Shoes...

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
Re: The Occult Chronicles - Roguelike Boardlike Cardlike Gamelike Cthulhulike
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 01:01:17 pm »

Actually saw this game a while ago and was incredibly excited - I don't like their challenge system, I would have appreciated a more direct mechanic or something more thematic but the game itself is still incredibly fun just for its uniqueness and experience.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 03:51:42 pm »

I wanna say I or someone made a thread about this way back when, but I'm too lazy to really find it and it didn't get much traction. I remember being interested up until I saw the card mechanic. I like board games as video games plenty, but I felt like there was a bit too much medium-mashing going on with this game from looking at it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:56:18 pm »

There is quite a bit of that yeah.  I think when it all comes together it gets so complicated it's hard to really understand even when you know how to play.  Like most special abilities I read the text and just kind of blank out.  It's hard to remember to use them a lot of the time.

But some tips.  I've changed my mind about wands.  I like going 3/3 Wands/Pentacles, with 5 HP (HP because you're more likely to lose health than san with high mental stats), then take the professor background, pentacles bone, and an evade edge (because you need to be able to run from enemies).  Grab a magic career card with your first five advancement tokens and start learning some spells to help you out in fights where you can use them.

Also the number of result cards you reveal is based on the level of success or failure.  If you win on the first card, keep flipping and making tricks, the more points you succeed by the more cards you reveal and the better your rewards are.  Protip.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:08:18 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:10:13 am »

Chronicles is certainly a fun game, but at that times frustratingly obscure. Such as certain multi-floor quests being very rare to come across the player in a correct order, making it likely the player foils them before even being aware of them. Likewise, the UI is overtly complicated. Still, it is a very fun game. I kind of expected there to be a DLC like for Solium Infernum and Armageddon Empires, but I guess the game is abandoned now. If you are not familiar with those two games, I heartily recommend them. The western game from the same maker, however, is quite boring in my opinion. I guess I still like Armageddon Empires the most.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So this game is trying to Greenlight. I voted it, seeing how I actually own and enjoy this particular piece of software. Thought I'd spread the word.

In not-really related news, the dev is mostly leaving videogames:
http://www.crypticcomet.com/blog/?p=1117
I will naturally continue to support all my customers with tech support and downloads of lost purchases. And I will continue to sell my digital games and support them as well for as long as they keep running.