Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Troll of twillight or "Hello, we are your new neighbours"  (Read 1165 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Troll of twillight or "Hello, we are your new neighbours"
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:36:05 am »

So, I have just arrived to fortress site, that turned out to be occupied by a troll.

Should I panic now? Is it even hositle?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Troll of twillight or "Hello, we are your new neighbours"
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:49:17 am »

The units screen should say whether it's hostile or friendly.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:50:16 am »

It says "Current resident".

Turns out his hideout has door that I'm allowed to lock. I guess problem neutralized until I get myself some military.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:51:57 am by Sirbug »
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 10:52:40 am »

Hm, I have no idea then since I haven't had that happen to me yet. I'd say treat with caution and wall it in.

Edit towards above edit: Unless it's a building destroyer, but I don't know whether night creatures are building destroyers or not.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:57:48 am by smjjames »

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 11:05:08 am »

I'm really tempted by some stuff he has in his cave. But all I have is a recruit with copper axe and wooden shield.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 11:12:40 am »

Or just make some fortifications into the wall of his lair and send some trained up marksdwarfs to pincushon him with bolts.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 11:18:37 am »

His lair is made of soil, though.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 11:55:37 am »

If the entrance has a hatch cover, he can't break it from below. No worries. Current residents tend not to bother you unless you get close, if I recall.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 12:31:14 pm »

Alrite, if somebody interested: Yes, those creatures are hostile to those who walk into their lair.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 03:49:44 pm »

Alrite, if somebody interested: Yes, those creatures are hostile to those who walk into their lair.

!!SCIENCE!!
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 12:47:16 pm »

I've never fought night trolls (or whatever you wanna call them) in Fortress Mode, but I've killed a few in Adventure Mode. They can easily kill off 4-5 recruited soldiers without getting hurt too much, so sending a recruit or two against it will probably result in Fun. Because after it's done pulverizing the unfortunate soldiers, it's likely gonna crawl up from it's lair and eat the rest of your expedition.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 01:22:54 pm »

I've never fought night trolls (or whatever you wanna call them) in Fortress Mode, but I've killed a few in Adventure Mode. They can easily kill off 4-5 recruited soldiers without getting hurt too much, so sending a recruit or two against it will probably result in Fun. Because after it's done pulverizing the unfortunate soldiers, it's likely gonna crawl up from it's lair and eat the rest of your expedition.

I sent 3 soldiers - novice axedwarf with copper axe (trained self from scratch, one of original memebers of standard party), competent swordsdwarf and competent hammerdwarf. All with no armor and silver weapon (Life is hard when all ore you have is galena). Axedwarf ended up dead, swordsdwarf walked away with torn both shoulders, he's fine now. Claimed some armor as a trophy as well as yellow jasper quern (how did this happen?).

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 01:53:31 pm »

You should definitely place that quern in the middle of your dining hall or something to commemorate this glorious victory! How about the hammerdwarf, did he/she die as well?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 02:28:39 pm »

No, hammerdwarf's fully recovered, I think. I set up hospital and patched him up.

Right now I'm using quern as, well, a quern, but maybe I should use it as a memorial. For something made of gemstone, it's absurdly cheap, though. Also, it's amusing how trolls can use cauldrons as furniture and I can't.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 04:31:09 pm »

I have a suggestion, place the fallen soldier's memorial slab next to the glorious quern.

It's probably for the best you can't place the cauldron, since the dwarves are unfamiliar with the concept of warm meals. They'd probably try and use it as a crapper, or start living inside of it.