Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire king not going in burrow  (Read 1249 times)

beetlenaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • spacemanDan.net
Vampire king not going in burrow
« on: September 18, 2013, 06:05:07 am »

So, I got a vampire for a king. I don't want him to start killing my legendary whatevers, so I defined a burrow covering his quarters. However, he won't go in it. Why not? Is it because he's a king, because he's a vampire, or because I have a civilian alert active with a burrow restriction? (I'm under siege.)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire king not going in burrow
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 06:20:56 am »

Regular vampires do follow burrow restrictions, so it has to be that the civilian alert is messing things up somehow. You could wait for him to go into one of his rooms and lock him in of course, OR just manually assign every single other civilian to the civ alert burrow and leave the king out of it, so he goes to the quarantine zone instead. Hope this helps.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 10:05:25 am »

I managed it by assigning the vampire in a squad, alone, then sent him in faction where I wanted him to be locked (atom-smashed, in my case).
However, he wasn't King, I don't know if you can make a soldier out of your king
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

beetlenaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • spacemanDan.net
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:39:43 pm »

I got rid of my vampire mayor by making him a soldier and stationing him in a closet, but it doesn't work with a king. I'm not going to assign and then remove 300 dwarves, so I guess I'll just take my chances until I can finish off the goblins and remove the alert.

beetlenaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • spacemanDan.net
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 12:40:44 am »

I was finally able to end the civilian alert, and he still just stands there in a meeting area and doesn't go into his burrow (which is his quarters). I had the same thing happen with a weresloth earlier. He just stood in one spot in the hallway ignoring his burrow restriction. I made him a soldier and was able to make him move that way, but apparently you can't do that with a king. A normal dwarf would go into his rooms eventually, but a vampire has no need to, so just waiting doesn't seem like it will work. It's been several game months, and he hasn't gone into his quarters yet.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 01:11:37 am »

Burrows only restrict where a dwarf takes jobs.  A king doesn't do shit, and a vampire doesn't eat drink or sleep.  Your burrow is pretty much useless for this.

You might be able to attract him to a location by creating a statue garden that belongs to him, and hoping he chooses to idle there instead of in a common area (when he's not eating the citizens, anyway).
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

beetlenaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • spacemanDan.net
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 02:06:52 am »

I thought it restricted where they lived as well, but that explains why they don't always work. I created a statue garden, but before he decided to visit it, he went to store something in one of his cabinets. (I hope it wasn't something new!) I was finally able to lock him up.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 04:36:29 am »

The last vampire king I had (before his mandates went into the 'are you serious?' levels) I simply setup the royal bedrooms and locked the doors behind him when he went in. 

Once his mandates entered stupid I opened the doors, he ate someone in the common bedroom, he got justiced, and justice included a magma bath. :)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 05:26:04 am »

You can render vampires harmless by driving them insane (with a 2/3ish chance of success; berserk vampires are not so harmless); if they lose their marbles, they lose their noble positions along with them and no longer lust for the blood of your population.

Are kings really exempt from the military? I haven't had a monarch in ages, but could draft duchesses and other nobles into squads, as long as i made them subordinate soldiers. They weren't offered when appointing a squad leader, but were perfectly acceptable as number two.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 06:40:36 am »

Burrows only restrict where a dwarf takes jobs.  A king doesn't do shit, and a vampire doesn't eat drink or sleep.  Your burrow is pretty much useless for this.

You might be able to attract him to a location by creating a statue garden that belongs to him, and hoping he chooses to idle there instead of in a common area (when he's not eating the citizens, anyway).

My vampire queen is assigned to a burrow, and all she does is loiter in it, when I sound the civilian alert, she gets out, and takes the chance to feed on a sleeping dwarf, but the moment I lift the alert she stops the feeding, and goes back to her quarters.

Are kings really exempt from the military? I haven't had a monarch in ages, but could draft duchesses and other nobles into squads, as long as i made them subordinate soldiers. They weren't offered when appointing a squad leader, but were perfectly acceptable as number two.

Monarchs work in the same way as other nobles.

beetlenaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • spacemanDan.net
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 11:01:00 am »

Oh. The king does show up as a recruit, just not a militia captain. I suppose I could find him a sacrificial squad leader if he makes it out of his quarters.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 12:42:08 pm »

you could try building him a nice lever in his rooms and set its workshop profile so only the king can pull it.  Setting that thing to repeat should entice the king to go play with his new joystick in the privacy of his own rooms.  That is asumeing kings will still pull levers, cant remember ever testing with them although it is my normal method for normal vamps.