Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The long dark - first person post distaster survival sim Kickstart!  (Read 1662 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hinterlandgames/the-long-dark-a-first-person-post-disaster-surviva/?ref=kicktraq

The Long Dark is a first-person post-disaster survival simulation set in the Northern wilderness. You are flying over in your plane when it suddenly stops working causing you to crash into the wilderness with nothing but the basics.

Features:

Risk the daily hazards of wilderness survival in this deep simulation that tracks weather, time of day, temperature, food/water, energy use/consumption, and gear condition. Fight the elements to stay alive!

Explore a beautiful but savage Northern Wilderness, searching for gear and supplies as you struggle to survive a dangerous wilderness setting where the weather can suddenly turn on you, and wildlife stalk you. The hunter becomes the hunted!

Face morally challenging scenarios that push you to your limit. Will you risk your life for the common good, or live by the adage, "every man for himself"? How far will you go to survive?

Experience a mature storyline, rich world, cast of memorable characters, and hours of narrative gameplay in the Survival Story mode with a riveting storyline that advances at your pace.

Enjoy dozens of hours of Survival Sandbox gameplay where you fight to last as long as possible across a range of survival scenarios.

I really like the look and sound of this i have been looking for a in depth survival game for a long time now and this might just do it. Some of the features sound really cool and also hint to other things, like in the main game details they say there are going to be NPC survivors but if it was just normal wilderness why would there be more survivors and not just you ?.

They also seem to want to simulate a lot of things making it a really in depth survival game:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 02:02:15 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The long dark - first person post distaster survival sim Kickstart!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 08:14:53 am »

I don't trust their ability to make this a good game, because it's hard. (Their list of other games only decreases my confidence.) I will be following it just in case, because it would be a very enjoyable game if done properly.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 10:39:53 am »

Nice find! The motley crew of developers looks promising, and I love the art style as presented in the kickstarter. I may end up backing this. Definitely PTW here.

Reading through the KS page, I'm generally impressed. The presentation and marketing approaches are crisp. The descriptors they use for the game give me a more concrete image of the game than many other KS pages are able to offer.

Yeah. Definitely interested. Thanks again for the post. I wonder if the devs will find their way to this forum...

I don't trust their ability to make this a good game, because it's hard. (Their list of other games only decreases my confidence.) I will be following it just in case, because it would be a very enjoyable game if done properly.

I feel the exact opposite! Given the collection of the titles and the individual backgrounds, this looks very promising to me. I have followed many of those titles' development and I also have been waiting for the displaced devs to get their own thing going.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 11:37:17 am »

I've got a big 'NOPE' in my mind, but I can't really grab why. Something's ticking me off. I don't know. The lack of originality, the weirdly crisp presentation of the project, early praises placed before the detailing of the gameplay features, the list of games they worked on (were they not good enough to keep working there?), etc...

Actually, it looks too perfect.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 01:36:02 pm »

Meta has been bitten before by things that looked too perfect. We all have.

*Sigh*
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 01:48:33 pm »

Hmm out of all those games, only Farcry 3 barely comes close to the features these guys want to throw into their kickstart. This game is purely aiming for the genre Robinson already has done only updated to modern times and less of a learning curve (maybe). It might work out, alot of work will be put into managing alot of the health system. Only issue is it's not my policy to fund games that doesn't even have code existing yet. I don't care if these guys are pro devs i just can't throw money around if a concept doesn't exist.