Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Planning a Trip to Ireland  (Read 583 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Planning a Trip to Ireland
« on: September 17, 2013, 04:17:55 pm »

My fiancee and I are planning a trip to Ireland for our Honeymoon. We should be there about 7 or 8 days. Anyone got any good advice on things we should go see or do?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Planning a Trip to Ireland
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 05:05:56 pm »

Get wasted and eat tons of potatoes.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 05:25:20 pm »

Don't tell anyone if you're catholic or protestant in case they murder you.
In Northern Ireland, that used to be - and still is to an extent - reasonable advice. If you're going to the ROI you don't have to worry so much about the Troubles, but theres still bombs being planted in NI. Don't know any more about what you should see than you could find on the internet, tbh. What are your interests?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 05:41:28 pm »

Mostly interested in the History aspects, although I'm open to stuff that's just fun if people have suggestions for that.

Been doing internet research, but I'm hoping some bay12 forumites have some good experience with Ireland and can share some fun or interesting tips.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 01:03:11 am »

I have only been to Dublin but there are some things there I would recommend.

1) Go by Temple Bar, don't bother spending too much time there, it is an obvious tourist trap but it's nice to have been there at least.
2) Go to the Guinness Museum, it is... unique. The only museum I have ever been to where they gave us beer. Twice.
3) Take the train out to Howth (just half an hour or so and the trains are cheap) and walk along the seashore, it is beautiful and there are a lot of really good restaurants that cook up fresh fish.
4) My favourite place to drink and listen to music to at night was O'Donoghues. (The place the Dubliners first became famous).
5) Visit the Trinity College and look at the Book of Kells, if you like old style over the top fancy books it is probably the fanciest I have seen. The old library of the Trinity College is quite impressive as well.
6) If you are interested in some history, you could go to something like the Glasnevin Museum. I also recommend taking a stroll to the Garden of Remembrance.
7) Catch a dinner show at the Arlington Hotel* (they have shows every night and in my opinion the week-day shows are better than the week-end ones). You get some good irish music and at least when I was there, some River Dancing from Celtic Rhytm.

*The one by the Liffey.

That is all I can think of for now.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:05:10 am by Aptus »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 12:14:20 pm »

Thanks, Aptus! Those are some great suggestions. :)
Come play Mafia with us!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:40:23 pm »

Just two years ago I spent two weeks in County Cork, staying in Castletownbere on the southwestern coast (I have family there.) We went around Cork, as well as Kerry and Limerick. I have a few suggestions based on my experience...

1) See Blarney Castle. It is kind of a tourist trap but you said you're interested in history and it doesn't get much better than that.
2) Another thing I highly recommend is visiting the Ring of Kerry. It's more of a scenery thing but it goes past a few old forts and stone cirlces that are really cool.
3) The bars are all excellent, and they are EVERYWHERE. definitely go to some.

Depending on where you are these things will probably be an all day affair. Except the bars, of course. I hope you enjoy your trip!
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 01:59:22 pm »

If you like that sort of thing, you should go and see a play in one of the big theatres in Dublin.