Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it possible to enclosed a section of a river?  (Read 2759 times)

Argonseal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Is it possible to enclosed a section of a river?
« on: September 16, 2013, 05:10:59 am »

What I mean is is it possible to surround a whole section of the river with walls and use it as a  safe watersource?

I found this picture online and think it might be what I want.

Source : http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/1mbfmu/zombie_fort_bridgedbooks_the_undead_have_been/
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:14:49 am by Argonseal »

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to enclosed a section of a river?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 05:55:14 am »

For a start I think that's a brook not a river, because it has the light blue/white "cover" on top. With brooks they do actually have a cover that you can channel through, and presumably will stop aquatic mounts from going under your wall and popping up inside your fort if they can even get into the water without it being channeled. You can build walls across brooks, enclosing a water source as seen in the pic, its part of my standard fort building process. I'm pretty sure you can do the same thing with rivers but you'll need something for the wall builders to stand on (ie floor) whilst building the wall over the river.

The brook in the pic can be used as a watersource and fished without channeling.

My understanding, were it a river/stream is that a wall running over it can be bypassed by aquatic siege mounts such as giant toads and cave cross(?) Can comply enter the river swim under the wall and enter your fort, though I've never been unlucky enough to see that. Floodgates under the wall might prevent this (more problems) and I'm sure that an aquatic building destroying TH is a possibility.

Hope that helps.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 06:01:45 am »

Yes, it is.  Vertical Grates and/or 2 thick fortifications will keep most of the problems out.

The problem is damming up the river in the first place.

First, how deep is your river?  Next, how familiar are you with using map-edge drains and floodgate controls?

Here's the general idea: Dig underground to near the river's lowest point on the side of your fort towards the source.  Install edge drains (smooth and fortify the outermost layer of the world) and floodgates if necessary to prevent fort flooding.  Also install floodgates to close the drain.  Pierce the river, get miner out of the way.  Let the river drain dry.  Install defenses such as vertical grates and/or fortifications for both sides of the walls.  Close drain, let river refill.  You now have flowing water inside your defenses.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 04:51:03 pm »

I remember someone posting a simpler methods: just install a row of pumps near the source of the river, set to pump against the flow of the water. Pumps pump faster than rivers flow, so the downstream will empty out, allowing you to build and raise a bridge and deconstruct the pumps.

Code: [Select]
  (source)
   ^~~^
   ^~~^     install waterwheels here to power pumps if dwarf power does not last
   ^~~^
  #^~~^#
  #%%%%#    pumps set to pump to the north
   %%%%
   ^~~^     this and downstream should dry out

I've not tested this yet. My current embark has a river that I want to dam eventually, but I first need to get my basic fortress running... I included some walls going north next to the pump to make sure the water does not overflow and push the dwarf from the pump, but I'm not sure it is needed.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 06:29:31 pm »

Bloody hell looks like my phone made a mess of that post and I didn't read it back. Looks like the general message carried over. TH should be FB, sorry for the atrocious post.